Slight shaky idle

myfavecoupe

Hmm, interesting. Was that the only bad mount you had?

Also how easy was it to replace? The two bolts going into the frame of mine look pretty rusty

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a bad trans mount, my shifter moves back and forth when accelerate and let off.

Two bolts into the frame, mine were clean so I dunno. PB Blaster them, let em sit a bit. The big one on the mount was also fine. Kinda of a pain to put the new mount in, but you can push in there without issues. On a scale from 1 - 10, it's like a 2.5 :lol:

myfavecoupe

I have a bad trans mount, my shifter moves back and forth when accelerate and let off.

Two bolts into the frame, mine were clean so I dunno. PB Blaster them, let em sit a bit. The big one on the mount was also fine. Kinda of a pain to put the new mount in, but you can push in there without issues. On a scale from 1 - 10, it's like a 2.5 :lol:

Did you use a jack on the oil pan and the car?

my93civic

On the upside, that mount was bad anyhow

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you use a jack on the oil pan and the car?
Never lift any vehicle using the oil pan, they weren't made to handle the weight of the vehicle. I have replaced many oil pans from people making that mistake.

my93civic

You mean that thin piece of metal that is the oil pan can't handle the weight of a car. I think theres only a few cars that you can do that with and hondas definitely aren't one of em.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

myfavecoupe

I thought when replacing engine mounts you support the engine under the oil pan? I don't mean to lift the car up with it

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I used a wooden slat on top of a jack to let the bottom end drop down on my 95 DX when I took the head off and changed the timing belt (no top end or coolant). Never had an issue with the oil. Obviously not the best way to do it, but still, no issue.

But no, generally it's not a good idea.

Edit, why are you needing to cradle the engine? The top mount is holding it. Jack the car up, take the tire off, pull the splash guard back and go to town. it's easier than you're making it out to be.

myfavecoupe

A friend told me that's what I'd need to do, hold engine up by oil pan. That's why I like getting multiple opinions lol

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If your friend needs to hold his engine up while swapping that lower mount, he's doing something wrong. It took me longer to jack up the car and take the tire off than it did to pull the mount and put the new one on.

myfavecoupe

So I decided to check the spark plugs and two were not gapped properly (not sure how I missed that when tuning it up) they were gapped to .040

I also noticed random small spots of brown on every spark plug in the porcelain area. Is that normal? I feel like it's not.

With the plugs re-gapped to .044 the engine seems to shake even more now at idle

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not going to notice any difference with .004.

myfavecoupe

So I had two different mechanics take a look/listen and they both said it sounds like a slight misfire occasionally at idle.

Of course they wanted to charge for a proper diagnostic but they didn't think the shake was "normal"

Any other possible suggestions? I'm going to check timing when I get a chance

myfavecoupe

Started getting a low idle recently. Seems to happen after I get off the freeway but idles up when accessories are on.

I've cleaned throttle body and idle valve.

Read numerous threads about people with similar low idle but no real solution.

Is this typical civic thing?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Started getting a low idle recently. Seems to happen after I get off the freeway but idles up when accessories are on.

I've cleaned throttle body and idle valve.

Read numerous threads about people with similar low idle but no real solution.

Is this typical civic thing?
I moved your post here where it belongs since it has nothing to do with the other thread you originally posted it in.

So did your issue go away then recently return?

myfavecoupe

I moved your post here where it belongs since it has nothing to do with the other thread you originally posted it in.

So did your issue go away then recently return?
I guess I should be used to this by now having the car for over 5 years and always seems to do it in warmer weather but every time it doesn't for a while (usually during winter months) and starts up again it seems alarming.

Attachments