Plug gap, why everyone says .044?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Honda service manual says .039-.043 so I'm just curious why every spark plug thread I've come across they recommend .044?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I personally use the following reasoning: .44 is the max you should go and since most people use the inexpensive gapper disc, anything just below that is right in that range.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there any difference at all if set to .39 or the max .44?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Read this so you have a better understanding of how spark plugs work. http://www.howrah.org/spark-plug.html

In short, too close of a gap and and theres not enough space for a spark to ignight the fuel well but too far of a gap and the spark is too weak to ignite fuel well. Just stay within the range.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
just buy the correct plugs and the come pre gapped to spec. i have only ever messed with my spark gap once and it was because my tuner told me i needed to close the gap down with my turbo

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
just buy the correct plugs and the come pre gapped to spec. i have only ever messed with my spark gap once and it was because my tuner told me i needed to close the gap down with my turbo
But make sure you check the gap before you install them.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But I'm curious if .39 would be better than .44 I know it's in the "range" but is there any benefit? Like maybe the plugs last longer starting at the minimum gap or something

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To my knowledge, theres no major difference because its a minor gap difference.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Speaking of spark plugs, any of you ever encounter ones where the side ground electrode is offset the center electrode a bit?

Been seeing them on NGK's and wondered if it'd affect spark efficiency

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Reference pictures, please.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No pictures at the moment as they're installed in my car. I remember seeing two like that and have always wondered if it'd affect idle or something?

Just imagine the side electrode not being completely centered over the center electrode

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Assuming you errantly used the word offset, you must be describing any number of the models that have side electrodes along with or in place of the overhead electrode. Simply go read on one of their websites about that particular design.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hopefully this helps show what I'm talking about. Googled the same V-power ngk plugs that I use in my civic

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That IS properly centered. I think you need to research how spark plugs work and how theyre designed. Perhaps your judging off previously used low quality plugs.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know in that picture it's centered I was just trying to show what I mean. Couldn't find a pic of one where the side electrode wasn't centered like I experienced. Just wondering if it'd cause an issue

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its purposy designed that way then its for a reason. Research it.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's why I ask because I know it's not designed to be like that

dancam

Registered VIP
That's why I ask because I know it's not designed to be like that
Ok, then either dont buy them or straighten them before installing. I have never seen one like that myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did try to straighten them but couldn't so just installed them.

I'm just curious if it'd affect performance? More so the idle. My idle has seemed shaky since my last tune up and just throwing random things that might contribute to it

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just replaced my plugs. Here's a pic of the old ones. Are they indicating a rich mixture?