Help! Virgin honda builder. 1990 civic hatchback fun

DanaB

danaB's AvatardanaB , Today 09:26 PM
Good evening, I just bought my first honda to build on. First off heres what I got....1990 Honda civic hatchback std, with what I was told, is a D15B1 and a "l3" transmission. Vin: 2HGED6343LH507598 The motor does not run right now, so I plan on pulling it out tomorrow. I have 1200 dollars to spend on motor and tranny. What is going to be my best bang for my buck? By that I mean, do I need to spend that much to achieve say 150hp or say a 12 second quarter mile? Best options for that block? Should I do motor or tranny swap? Could I just bore it out and add a small turbo? I'm looking for practical.... this is not my daily driver and i have a month or two and a excellent machine shop. Im not looking for hwy milege. Let me know what other information I should add to this please. Let your knoledge flow to me please.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
You are going to be very hard pressed to hit your goals with that budget. A high compression b20 with a cable b16 trans and the rest of parts just for the swap will cost more than that, plus going obd1.

If you don't care about the engine, find a few d16z6's and throw a small turbo (such as a 14b from a DSM). The initial setup will cost more than your budget, but when one engine pops just throw another in there and keep going.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, although Im sorry to hear youre a 27 year old virgin, I welcome you to the forum anyways.

Why doesnt the motor work? If its easily repairable, you can sell it to have more funds for an engine swap thus having more options to choose from.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Well, although Im sorry to hear youre a 27 year old virgin, I welcome you to the forum anyways.

Why doesnt the motor work? If its easily repairable, you can sell it to have more funds for an engine swap thus having more options to choose from.

99civiclxpro

Where do you live? I know of a "warehouse" close to jersey that could give you a whole set up if you want to rebuild it.. B18's are a lot of fun in those little guys
And by give you I mean sell you haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Where do you live? I know of a "warehouse" close to jersey that could give you a whole set up if you want to rebuild it.. B18's are a lot of fun in those little guys
And by give you I mean sell you haha

Pretty sure he's in Montana... that'd be a hell of a drive. :lol:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
4 days and no reply. Perhaps @DanaB got embarrassed after admitting his virginity. Hey, to each their own, man.

dancam

Registered VIP
12 second 1/4 mile starting with a stock 1990 civic with only $1200 isnt gonna happen unless you find a gently used russian rocket and mug some KGB dude for the fuel.
$1200 might get you a 14 second quarter mile but probably not reliably.
Ebay turbo kit with better head gasket, head bolts, pistons and bearings plus a small nitrous kit. Then sticky tires, ebay 3 puck clutch and dont shift hard.
Thats probably $2300 right there and you haven't run into problems or broken anything yet.

dancam

Registered VIP
Oh, and the easiest way to go faster on the 1/4 mile is get smaller tires from a wrecker. More shifting gears but your rpm's stay up higher for more power.