Honda Civic 2005 - Sub Woofer Question

Zontafer

I'm not generally great with cars, however, a couple of days ago me and my friend replaced my factory stereo with a nice Pioneer stereo. I'm looking for an upgrade to my speakers first, but there's a posing question that I'm unsure of the answer to in regards to the sub woofer. When I get these sub woofers, where am I to put them? Ideally, I want it in a place where the sound will be clearest. I've heard the trunk is good for bass, but it may sound muffled. If the trunk is the best place to put subwoofers, what direction should it face for the best possible sound? How about the roof (inside)? Is that a good spot? I want the clearest possible sound... Ideas?

On top of this, where do I put an amp? Is an Amp an absolute requirement? (I've already looked this stuff up, but I've had so many mixed answers I want a solid answer for reassurement about this. I've been told yes to no about the amp part)

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Subwoofers are large, and for proper sound need to be in an enclosure (box). No change of them fitting on your roof.

The only place to put them in these cars is in the trunk or on the back seat. Amp is an absolute requirement, otherwise the subwoofer won't be audible.

I would suggest you do some research on how this equipment works. Google is your friend (and quicker than replies on here!)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7xMvgLskanm/learn/how-to-match-subwoofers-and-amplifiers.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xDEpHHENNj3/learn/video-where-to-position-your-subwoofer-box.html

^ Take a look at those to get you started.

Zontafer

Subwoofers are large, and for proper sound need to be in an enclosure (box). No change of them fitting on your roof.

The only place to put them in these cars is in the trunk or on the back seat. Amp is an absolute requirement, otherwise the subwoofer won't be audible.

I would suggest you do some research on how this equipment works. Google is your friend (and quicker than replies on here!)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7xMvgLskanm/learn/how-to-match-subwoofers-and-amplifiers.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xDEpHHENNj3/learn/video-where-to-position-your-subwoofer-box.html

^ Take a look at those to get you started.
Thanks for the response! The links were very helpful =)

My only question is...

"2 DVC 4-ohms can have 1 ohm or 4 ohms of impedance"

I didn't quite get what exactly the benefit of using the 1 ohm of impedance over the 4 ohms. Does it not matter at all or does one have a benefit over the other?

Last edited:

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
subs belong in the trunk facing the rear thats optimal position. if you only have one sub you want to use a mono block amp although you can use a cheaper two way and just bridge the connection.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
First off, I commend you for being honest about your lack of knowledge on the subject.

Heres my synopsis for you:
- subwoofers always require the use of an amp with no exception. I suspect your confusion arose from references towards component speaker set-ups and their independent woofer, which isnt the same so dont worry.

- every subwoofer needs a left & right input. To avoid confusion, just get a 1-channel amplifier and a Single voice-coil (SVC) so its a simple set-up for you. At your knowledge level, itll be a simple and straight forward set-up.

- ignore max wattage ratings as its useless information. Choose an amp & sub with similar RMS wattage ratings. Research what that means.

- Understand that a subwoofer will only work as good as the size of the box its in. This is the most ignore yet vital factor in building a bass system. Dont even trustva shop to do it as many dont. Make sure you read the selected subs optimal box cu. ft. rating and calculate it for any box you consider (look up how to calculate "subwoofer box footage")

dancam

Registered VIP
Best place is the trunk. They are quite heavy and you really dont want one to hit you in an accident.
Also like hex said, the most important thing is the enclosure. You need a good one for any kind of decent sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk