New coilovers now car is bouncy, help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats too low as it is. Read your tire wall specs. You should fill at around 5-7 psi below max which should put you at least around 40psi.

You should not lower tire pressure that low for the sake of improved ride feel due to your tight suspension. That creates uneven tire wear and wears out your tires faster.

tyrexus

Respected
Thats too low as it is. Read your tire wall specs. You should fill at around 5-7 psi below max which should put you at least around 40psi.

You should not lower tire pressure that low for the sake of improved ride feel due to your tight suspension. That creates uneven tire wear and wears out your tires faster.
Okay, I think max is 50. I was following the vehicles recommend pressure, but I guess that's for the stock tires. Thanks, I will do that.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Shrillin

Respected
I'm pretty sure for a 6th civic you want 35 front, 33 rear. Not anywhere near the maximum for your tires which should be around 50. Look on the sticker on your door jam.

Edit: 35 front, 33 rear

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I disagree as it will also depend on the tire size and brand quality. If a tire brand can take 50PSI max then it doesnt make sense to only fill it at roughly 60% capacity. The factory recomendation only applies to the same size and grade of tire, which can vary greatly nowadays, on the factory original rim.

Shrillin

Respected
I disagree as it will also depend on the tire size and brand quality. If a tire brand can take 50PSI max then it doesnt make sense to only fill it at roughly 60% capacity. The factory recomendation only applies to the same size and grade of tire, which can vary greatly nowadays, on the factory original rim.
The tire doesn't know the weight of the car that it could be fitted to.

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If tire pressure is being brought in the equation for ride quality on a daily driver the suspension needs to be reconsidered. Stock tire size of 195/55/15 depending on brand can vary from 55 psi all the way down to 40 psi max pressure.

If the max is higher, it's typically due to a softer side wall and should never go below 75% max pressure or you'll be replacing tires in about 8 months of use. You can get away with a little more with bridgestone or other brands with notably thicker side walls because the tire is not relying on pressure as much to maintain it's structure.

I'd play with the preload and maybe spring rates well before I under-inflate tires. That has contact related issues and saftey concerns written all over it. And if the coils are below the manufactures recommended minimum adjustment you can throw it all out the window.

Reactions: HeX

dancam

Registered VIP
Um, max pressure for a tire has to do with a lot more than sidewall plys.
I run my tires to the max pressure in the summer for best fuel economy and handling. Lower pressure like whats stated in your door jamb sticker is for max comfort and less bumpy ride. I think anything less than that unless maybe your stuck in snow or sand/mud or rock climbing is detrimental.

Try inflating your tires to the max pressure on the sidewall and see what the difference is when you drive. Most likely will be worse but then youll know. I wouldnt go lower than what the sticker in your door says though.
Stiff springs are stiff springs, my brother had some in an 89 civic he bought and just had to get used to it.
But if you end up returning them i personally would try stock suspension setup with low profile tires. That gets rid of a lot of sway and roll just by itself, your old struts were probably quite worn and your sway bar will keep body roll down a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
theres a difference between being firm and bumpy and being "bouncy". any set of coilovers or even a stiffer spring/shock combo is gonna feel more bumpy than the soft ass stock suspension. theres a trade off from comfort to performance and aggressive appearance. if youre looking to stay moderately comfortable then you shouldve done some research into what spring rates would suit your tastes. the higher the spring rates, especially in the rear where there is less weight, will be a harsher ride. also you get what you pay for.

pmac193

Thundermuff
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm an advocate of Koni STR.T struts and Tein S tech springs. I don't think there's a more comfortable, better quality set up at that price point.

tyrexus

Respected

Thanks, I adjusted the pressure to what you recommended. I feel every bump on the road more but at least the car has shorter, quick bounces, which I am getting used to day by day, and handles better. Max pressure for those tires are 51 and I have them on 41.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What brand are your tires? If you really want your coilovers to settle in, take 3 of your heaviest friends for a long aggressive drive, maybe 100 miles of driving.

tyrexus

Respected
What brand are your tires? If you really want your coilovers to settle in, take 3 of your heaviest friends for a long aggressive drive, maybe 100 miles of driving.
So I got a set of all weather nokian tires. In between two jobs on opposite sides of the city I get to drive quite a bit. So either I got used to them or they settled, or both. Now its fun driving that car. Thanks!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its likely a combination of both, although I cant comment on the quality of Nokian tyres as Ive only heard of them recently, but its great that youre starting to enjoy your purchase. Let us know how it continues to feel.

dancam

Registered VIP
So I got a set of all weather nokian tires. In between two jobs on opposite sides of the city I get to drive quite a bit. So either I got used to them or they settled, or both. Now its fun driving that car. Thanks!

Good! Probably both.
Nokians are a very good quality tire. They aren't a high performance/racing tire but i dont think thats what you bought them for =)

tyrexus

Respected
Good! Probably both.
Nokians are a very good quality tire. They aren't a high performance/racing tire but i dont think thats what you bought them for =)

Yes, great tires for Canadian weather. Thinking of buying a set of 16 rims and new tires in a bout two months.