Plug gap, why everyone says .044?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They look like standard wear to me. I wouldnt have replaced those. A simple sanding of the terminal surface and regapping and those plugs will last quite a while longer.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The black soot around the threads doesn't indicate anything?

I was wondering if you could just regap old plugs without sanding

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The black "soot" is standard combustion remnants. Remember theyre creating mini explosions thousands of times per drive. If it was thick black soot all over then it'd be an obvious problem.

You could re-gap them without sanding the diode but it'd be better to clear it up a bit. To be clear, by diode I refer to the curved metal above the spark point. I've done both for years with no issues. I just actually did it on my Civic about 4 weeks ago and mine already wore down to where I dont have the v-recess you have. Yes, I know thats a bit excessive but my car is still running very well.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

If you see alot of the burning marks circled in yellow, then its time to install new ones.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ah nice. I'll keep that in mind. I mainly replaced them because when they were installed I kept questioning the offset I've been talking about. I guess it was more for peace of mind.

Also I had been smelling gas during idling and I thought new plugs would be easiest thing to rule out

What do you use to sand with, fine grit sandpaper or?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestly, I've used whatever sandpaper I have nearby just to scuff up the metal enough to reach a shiny surface. Even using a blade to scrape it off will suffice.

dancam

Registered VIP

If you see alot of the burning marks circled in yellow, then its time to install new ones.
This is from the plug overheating or what?
Soda or sand blasting the plugs does work nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why not do same for the center electrode?
I dont want to further erode the electrode with it being a softer metal than the diode.

This is from the plug overheating or what?
If the plug shows this wear early then its overheating. Otherwise, it does this progressively over the natural use of the plug.
Soda or sand blasting the plugs does work nice.
Im sure it does being that soda blasting is mild in abrasion. If I had easy access to media or soda blasting, Id be using it on all sorts of projects.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont want to further erode the electrode with it being a softer metal than the diode..
From my understanding sharp points or edges of the electrode is what provides best spark

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you look up alot of high end plug strike points youll see alot of varying surface shapes for better ignition spark. If anything, Ive noticed the cheaper plugs having thin points.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's cool. I just came across this about sharp points being best for spark. Here's a quote of the linked site:

"It would be easiest to pull electrons from a pointed electrode but a pointed electrode would erode after only a few seconds. Instead, the electrons emit from the sharp edges of the end of the electrode; as these edges erode, the spark becomes weaker and less reliable."

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/spark-plug-construction

Maybe this is the reasoning behind those V shaped electrode NGK plugs?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would believe so. Thats a pretty informative link as well.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's interesting it says in the 70s they had problems with a nickel alloy center electrode so they switched to copper, yet the side electrode is made of nickel steel which is basically a nickel alloy just with carbon (to make the iron a steel)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, who knows what the composite comprised of then. Im sure there have been enough advances in the last 40 years that theyve figured out better alloy combinations for such applications.