MYDAYLY's EJ8 Build

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
There's a lot of options for ya, depending on your purpose. I've lost all sense of what a 2 inch drop looks like on an ek, since I'm all about going as low as physically possible lmao.
My first disclaimer is that I am extremely biased towards full bodied coilovers, since i have NEVER had any good experience (personally or riding on my buddies cars) from coilover sleeves on aftermarket or OEM struts. Having that said, here we go:
Your range of options are from about $600 to about $1100. I'd say majority of people would shoot for something NON-dampening (adjusting wise) and for around $600. On that group there is Function & Form (which go very low for their price), Blackwork SS, Yonaka (I've heard they drop about as much as F&F), Skunk 2 Pro SII.
On the second group there are coilovers that are from $800 to $1100. I usually tend to recommend these because of the dampening adjusting that they have. They let you drop your car (usually as low as the cheaper coilovers but they also let you adjust how harsh or how soft it feels). Some choices here are Function & Form TYPE 2, D2 Super Lows (I own these, they are for extreme drops), BC Extreme Low (also to achieve very low stance), D2 RS (go pretty low, not slammed), Ksport (I've never seen how low they go, but they are dampening adjusting).
Also note, NOTHING will ride like OEM. If you are concerned about ride smoothness, you might want to get a set up with soft springs, or a set up a little stiffer but that also has dampening adjusting. I'm a little skeptical of giving you this information, because people who look for comfort over looks when dropping a car usually aren't very satisfied. Anyways, Good luck.
Thanks for the info, you really know your suspensions.

I'm gonna keep the springs for another 6 months and go function and form type 1's or 2's during summer.

And DAMN!! I didn't know that the coilovers didn't ride like OEM.

I don't want to go lower than 3 inches all around.

I like how these Tein springs ride with the stock struts, just know that the struts ain't got too much longer.

lo-n-slo

I've enjoyed reading through your thread. Having the same color car, I'm looking for interior options and a lot of the cool things you did. I myself are looking to go that clean oem and lowered route, such as that pic of the SI. Where are you getting your paint? I need to do a bit of body work.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Thanks for the info, you really know your suspensions.

I'm gonna keep the springs for another 6 months and go function and form type 1's or 2's during summer.

And DAMN!! I didn't know that the coilovers didn't ride like OEM.

I don't want to go lower than 3 inches all around.

I like how these Tein springs ride with the stock struts, just know that the struts ain't got too much longer.
I've done a lot of research on suspension and have some personal experience so I like to help as much as I can when it comes to it. I wish someone would have helped me like this lol, I had to do a LOT of researching.
If you want to do some of that research yourself, here are some good links to start with:
http://honda-tech.com/suspension-brakes-54/slammed-suspension-setups-2077238/
http://honda-tech.com/honda-acura-28/share-your-stance-guide-achieving-ideal-setup-2904182/
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/click-here-all-of-you-curious-about-suspension-setups-and-their-costs-reliability.206087/

IF you can wait to save up for F&F Type 2, I'd go with that so that you don't end up buying F&F Type 1, not being happy with them, and then having to buy a different set up. I've gone through like 4 set ups until I found the one that I really liked.

There are various reasons why coilovers don't ride like OEM. The easiest ones to point out are that they are usually shorter (less shock travel), they are stiffer (spring wise), and the lower you go, the harsher they ride since there is little space for the shock to do it's job. Depending on what coilovers you go with, you'll notice them to be a bit "bouncy" also known as underdampened. This bouncy feeling is what I've experienced in EVERY single coilover SLEEVE that I've ever bought or rode on, that's the main reason I don't recommend Koni Shocks with Ground Control Sleeves (which is extremely popular for Hondas).

Depending on how old your stock shocks are, they probably will last a good while (as long as you are not over 2 inches lower with them). Good luck

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
I've enjoyed reading through your thread. Having the same color car, I'm looking for interior options and a lot of the cool things you did. I myself are looking to go that clean oem and lowered route, such as that pic of the SI. Where are you getting your paint? I need to do a bit of body work.
Thank you, glad I could offer some entertainment!

I get all of my paint at Autozone. Aside from the clover green paint, I usually get that on eBay. But be wary, some sellers will mail you a paint can that has a green lid on it with labeling signifying it to be clover green. But when you spray it, it may come out a different color.

Example:
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

So screen your sellers carefully!!

I'm a first timer for everything here but I love working on the car. It's always good to see others with the same vehicle/color as me and to see which route they'll go. I've read every 96-00 si/hx/dx/ex coupe thread in the "show off's" forum a good 2 or 3 times just to get ideas and see the potential of my vehicle and see what others have to say about em. Good luck with your build, I'll be happy to answer anything my limited experience has taught me.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
There's a lot of options for ya, depending on your purpose. I've lost all sense of what a 2 inch drop looks like on an ek, since I'm all about going as low as physically possible lmao.
My first disclaimer is that I am extremely biased towards full bodied coilovers, since i have NEVER had any good experience (personally or riding on my buddies cars) from coilover sleeves on aftermarket or OEM struts. Having that said, here we go:
Your range of options are from about $600 to about $1100. I'd say majority of people would shoot for something NON-dampening (adjusting wise) and for around $600. On that group there is Function & Form (which go very low for their price), Blackwork SS, Yonaka (I've heard they drop about as much as F&F), Skunk 2 Pro SII.
On the second group there are coilovers that are from $800 to $1100. I usually tend to recommend these because of the dampening adjusting that they have. They let you drop your car (usually as low as the cheaper coilovers but they also let you adjust how harsh or how soft it feels). Some choices here are Function & Form TYPE 2, D2 Super Lows (I own these, they are for extreme drops), BC Extreme Low (also to achieve very low stance), D2 RS (go pretty low, not slammed), Ksport (I've never seen how low they go, but they are dampening adjusting).
Also note, NOTHING will ride like OEM. If you are concerned about ride smoothness, you might want to get a set up with soft springs, or a set up a little stiffer but that also has dampening adjusting. I'm a little skeptical of giving you this information, because people who look for comfort over looks when dropping a car usually aren't very satisfied. Anyways, Good luck.
most coilovers with adjustable dampers usually rides pretty hard with the exception to d2 coilovers. non damping one usually are designed for street use and have softer spring rates that can absorb more road bumps. 2in drop has almost maybe 3-2 finger gap maybe a little less

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
most coilovers with adjustable dampers usually rides pretty hard with the exception to d2 coilovers. non damping one usually are designed for street use and have softer spring rates that can absorb more road bumps. 2in drop has almost maybe 3-2 finger gap maybe a little less
I'd have to disagree with you on this one. My D2 Super Low ride super smooth on the lowest setting for dampening (only ride like that on winter lol). Also, Function & Form Type 2s for EK have 12k and 8k (front & back), which is actually not all that stiff considering I have 14k & 8.5k and it doesn't feel stiff at all while messing with the dampening.
I always hated not being able to adjust dampening on coilovers, it gives you NO flexibility on the ride quality and you are basically putting all your expectations on the company to have a good ride quality.
Also, I doubt Function & Form Type 1 can take more street use than my D2 Super Lows.. but that's a side note lol.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I'd have to disagree with you on this one. My D2 Super Low ride super smooth on the lowest setting for dampening (only ride like that on winter lol). Also, Function & Form Type 2s for EK have 12k and 8k (front & back), which is actually not all that stiff considering I have 14k & 8.5k and it doesn't feel stiff at all while messing with the dampening.
I always hated not being able to adjust dampening on coilovers, it gives you NO flexibility on the ride quality and you are basically putting all your expectations on the company to have a good ride quality.
Also, I doubt Function & Form Type 1 can take more street use than my D2 Super Lows.. but that's a side note lol.
its why i said the exception to d2 my friend had them bought them brand new along with bwr neo chrome lca and gold bwr subframebrace skunk2 front and rear chamber kit, pretty much bought all the suspension components i told him to get all in one shot.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
its why i said the exception to d2 my friend had them bought them brand new along with bwr neo chrome lca and gold bwr subframebrace skunk2 front and rear chamber kit, pretty much bought all the suspension components i told him to get all in one shot.
I read that, I was saying there are companies like F&F that make softer springs than my D2 SLs, so I wasn't sure what you said was fully true. That's all

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I read that, I was saying there are companies like F&F that make softer springs than my D2 SLs, so I wasn't sure what you said was fully true. That's all
ohh ok

but then again why not also get fortune auto coilovers... custom made to your car and setup on order. eventually i'm gonna switch to those in a few yrs.

Last edited by a moderator:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
but then again why not also get fortune auto coilovers... custom made to your car and setup on order. eventually i'm gonna switch to those in a few yrs.
They seem legit, I'm wondering if you get to choose spring rate since I couldn't find any info on what they come from factory? If I upgrade coilovers (not anytime soon since I just bought my current set up a couple months ago), I'm going with a custom set from Broadway Static. They custom make most of their applications, and I've only heard good things about their product and customer service. Although their stuff is very pricey for coilovers you know.
Anyways why choose Fortune Auto? I've never heard of them until you brought them up.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
They seem legit, I'm wondering if you get to choose spring rate since I couldn't find any info on what they come from factory? If I upgrade coilovers (not anytime soon since I just bought my current set up a couple months ago), I'm going with a custom set from Broadway Static. They custom make most of their applications, and I've only heard good things about their product and customer service. Although their stuff is very pricey for coilovers you know.
Anyways why choose Fortune Auto? I've never heard of them until you brought them up.
from what i know they are the worlds best coilovers maker also the most expensive one most poeple don't have them mostly cause of the price, and for that amount poeple was just buying Tein coilovers or HKS hypermax or BC coilovers my friend has all 3 brands for his s13/s14 240sx his white one is currently on megan coilovers.

these are the top coilovers that money can buy, the tech put into these coilovers are far beyond any other coilover makers. a lot ot top race cars and race teams uses these brand

Last edited by a moderator:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
these are the top coilovers that money can buy, the tech put into these coilovers are far beyond any other coilover makers. a lot ot top race cars and race teams uses these brand
But you know I only have ONE question for you.. how LOW do they go? lololololol That's what I'm all about

MYDAYLY

Respected
5+ Year Member
You guys definitely know a lot about suspensions! I'm actually not that concerned about the ride quality. I know I probably should be, but to be honest I'm not a race car driver or anything, just a regular guy that likes to modify.

Now, that being said I LOVE dropped trucks. My first car was a 96 s10.. Need I say more?? Lol But I still don't have a wealth of knowledge about cars. I'm definitely still learning. Thanks for all your help.

I just detailed the civic and did a little photo shoot. I will have pics up as soon as they're edited.

And... I got a job!!
So I'm gonna be doing a lot to "Rhonda" in the near future.