Crank And Start; BUT Engine Turns Off Intermittently

CaptainJochem

Respected
Hey all, I'm relatively new to this community and would like to help and give back to the community; but now I'm experiencing a slight problem. I've noticed about 1-2 weeks ago that when I would turn the key to the 'ON' position that my dashboard lights would engage a second or two later than normal. If I would jiggle the key a little back and forth a little in that position the dashboard lights/MIL would turn on and off. With very little play the car would start, no problems.

Fast forward to now. Yesterday and this morning as I was driving I've noticed that about 2-3 minutes after I start the car that my tachometer/speedometer/clock would turn on and off intermittently. This will happen 2-3 times before my engine cuts off completely. I would play with the keys in the on and off position and I would notice that in certain position the dashboard lights become much brighter than in another position. This leads me to wonder if there is any loose wiring behind the ignition?

Wondering if anybody has had something similar happen and if there is a fix?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If your key cylinder isnt the issue then it may be the alternator. It wouldnt hurt to find a local auto parts store, such a Oreillys, that offers free alternator testing.

CaptainJochem

Respected
Hey all, thank you very much for the responses! I have found out that it was indeed the ignition switch, the contacts were almost completely gone; swapped it for a junkyard piece and now it's running again.

I'm relatively new to all of this but I thought that I would share this video that I made about the diagnosis and fix in case people have the same problem in the future:

Thanks again!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

CaptainJochem

Respected
Yeah, they're tan leather straight from the Honda factory! They're not original to the car, I got them out of an EJ9 and had to do some tweaking to get them into my EJ2.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah, they're tan leather straight from the Honda factory! They're not original to the car, I got them out of an EJ9 and had to do some tweaking to get them into my EJ2.
damn those seats are super rare here in the states since 99% of the civic here didn't get any leather seats most of the time people have been using integra leather seats in the hatches. just sucks that coupes have 60/40 split instead of 50/50 split that hatches have >.< ....