Evidence of Radiator leaking (spatter) from top/cap area

marcusldaniels

1998 Civic

When I raise the hood, there is antifreeze spatter on the air cleaner box and around the cap area and on the inside of the hood. This just started, it has never done this before. I have driven this car to 5 to 6 hours non stop at 90mph and it didnt do this. It's not over heating, the temp stays the same, just driving on the highway at 60 for 10 to 15 minutes, this happens. Could it be the thermostat is stuck? I need suggestions if anyone has had this problem please.

Marcus.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When cool, remove & inspect the cap. It could just be the cap seal. If so, just buy another cap. Otherwise, it may be the upper radiator hose. Inspect that as well, including squeezing it to test for plyability or lack thereof.

marcusldaniels

Hey whats up, Hex!! You're the Honda Civic guru I see LOL. Yea all the hoses are good, when I took the cap off and let it run, its supposed to flow when the thermostat opens or whatever but it just came out like it was boiling over. I also thought it was supposed to overflow into the resevoir if it boiled over like that. It looks like its spurting out of the cap now that you mentioned it, didnt think the cap could go bad but thats the next junk yard visit!! find a cap, along with the heat control valve arm that I broke when puttin the little motor back in LOL found that at the junkyard.

Thanks Hex.

Marcus.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey, Marcus. Im more of a research hound than a Civic guru but I do spend plenty of time in the forum. There's a lot of great info in this forum when you go back to the old stuff as well. I've also experienced & seen plenty. Experience with open eyes & ears can go a long way in the learning process so long as the desire is there.

I'm glad to have helped. Sometimes its the simplest things that we overlook that are the issue. Make sure to buy a new cap instead of getting an old one as a new one is less than $20 and theres no guarantee that an old one wont leak now or soon.

marcusldaniels

True, true, no doubt!! I still went to the junk yard and got one, they gave it to me free, I'll just see if that was actually the problem which im sure it was, they have em for 10 bucks at autozone.

Last edited by a moderator:

stephen.pontius5

U might have blown a hose or seal in the resivuar. Try to locate where the leak is coming from replace that and it should cure the problem.i wld say it that or a bad radiator.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
U might have blown a hose or seal in the resivuar. Try to locate where the leak is coming from replace that and it should cure the problem.i wld say it that or a bad radiator.
I don't think you read anything but the title. We already covered the likely source of the leak. He already said he inspected his hoses and they're fine. The RESERVOIR does not have a seal. I will not even bother asking what you mean by the vague "bad radiator" phrase. I just imagine saying "Bad, radiator. Bad!" like you're scolding a puppy. If that works then I'd be worried that his car is alive.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@marcusldaniels , I moved all the suspension related comments into this thread since this one started all about the radiator leak. I also added your Civics year for clear reference. Keeping threads well organized helps make it easy for searching later for anyone.

Last edited: