Semi built LS-V Turbo

mindlessadven

Have an LS block, b16 head, tranny still not too sure of stuck on b16 or GSR. Going to go turbo, and before that way comes, I want my motor to be semi built. I understand how blocks can be bored, resleeved, stronger, etc. but don't quite get which each purpose if for and what is better for what. Not asking for answers but asking for opinions and somewhere to learn more about this. But just want to know what's a good route for the block for when the times comes to turbo and add the V-head. Don't know if hitting the max bore is best for boost, or if making it as strong as you can.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Google how to build LS/VTEC motor. Also its a VTEC head not a v-head, that will get you heckled out of here. Max bore on a B16-B18 is generally 84mm but then that's will sleeves and its expensive. Cylinder walls get pretty thin at 84mm bore and no support so practically everyone who goes turbo with that bore size always has new sleeves put in and then bores out the cylinders. It is a lot of machine work that has to be done. Old sleeves are cut out, centerline cut is made. New sleeves pressed in and then bored out to just oversize of the pistons you bring in.

Most shops wont just cut sleeves to any bore. They are going to bore match to your pistons. Piston to wall clearance standard is 0.0004-0.0016 with a service limit of 0.002. However some engine builders will increase the clearance to 0.003 for blowby which in my opinion is not necessary. Blowby is going to happen regardless.

Use Total Seal piston rings and prep accordingly to the manufacturer of the rings. The more pressure you keep in the cylinder the more power you will make. I can school you all day long on this topic but I dont have the time for it.

So just google to your hearts content and educate yourself on the topic.

mindlessadven

Google how to build LS/VTEC motor. Also its a VTEC head not a v-head, that will get you heckled out of here. Max bore on a B16-B18 is generally 84mm but then that's will sleeves and its expensive. Cylinder walls get pretty thin at 84mm bore and no support so practically everyone who goes turbo with that bore size always has new sleeves put in and then bores out the cylinders. It is a lot of machine work that has to be done. Old sleeves are cut out, centerline cut is made. New sleeves pressed in and then bored out to just oversize of the pistons you bring in.

Most shops wont just cut sleeves to any bore. They are going to bore match to your pistons. Piston to wall clearance standard is 0.0004-0.0016 with a service limit of 0.002. However some engine builders will increase the clearance to 0.003 for blowby which in my opinion is not necessary. Blowby is going to happen regardless.

Use Total Seal piston rings and prep accordingly to the manufacturer of the rings. The more pressure you keep in the cylinder the more power you will make. I can school you all day long on this topic but I dont have the time for it.

So just google to your hearts content and educate yourself on the topic.
I know it's a vtec head, didn't think someone was gonna make something out of it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Before you think about building the motor, how much power do you want out of it? Depending on your power goal you may not even need to build the motor and still have a reliable boost setup.

mindlessadven

Before you think about building the motor, how much power do you want out of it? Depending on your power goal you may not even need to build the motor and still have a reliable boost setup.
Well over 500hp. Going to be boost by gear, full gutted hatch. I'm going to have my b18b block bored out to either 84 or 84.5mm and sleeved. Picked up a GSR for free at work the other day but from reading other forums and hearing others, hearing that b16 has just a bit better flow than the gsr head and pushes me to just keep this gsr head but still get a b16 head and redo all valves, etc. Money isn't a problem but if B16 is better than GSR than b16 it is.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Well over 500hp. Going to be boost by gear, full gutted hatch. I'm going to have my b18b block bored out to either 84 or 84.5mm and sleeved. Picked up a GSR for free at work the other day but from reading other forums and hearing others, hearing that b16 has just a bit better flow than the gsr head and pushes me to just keep this gsr head but still get a b16 head and redo all valves, etc. Money isn't a problem but if B16 is better than GSR than b16 it is.
do you have more details in your build spec like what CR you want to run and how each parts work with each other and how efficient in power making you want it to be and etc... things maybe a little easier for b series builds a lot of different combo and etc have been tried and etc.

mindlessadven

do you have more details in your build spec like what CR you want to run and how each parts work with each other and how efficient in power making you want it to be and etc... things maybe a little easier for b series builds a lot of different combo and etc have been tried and etc.
Only seen 84.5 CP Pistons with 9:1 and a 9:0 CR. Not too sure yet on interals

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Only seen 84.5 CP Pistons with 9:1 and a 9:0 CR. Not too sure yet on interals
thats just cp brand you should look into other brands as well

you can always get custom pistons made you'll need to figure out what CR your going to use cause the rest of the build will be based off that Cr you intend to run can't just slap parts together....

Last edited by a moderator:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
What is the car going to be used for? What type of fuel are going to run or better yet what kind of fuel can you afford to run?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
That's what Im getting at, e85 isn't everywhere and race gas isn't cheap. He needs to think about that when he is choosing his internals, turbo etc.

mindlessadven

Car is my daily, but will be a street car. Will bring to the strip every so often. But depending on how for from where I live to get e85, i will run that if the trip isn't too far. Will obviously buy way more than needed to save trips if anything.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Car is my daily, but will be a street car. Will bring to the strip every so often. But depending on how for from where I live to get e85, i will run that if the trip isn't too far. Will obviously buy way more than needed to save trips if anything.
sort of like my i'll drive it around town but its setup to run at the track. but E85 stations aren't close to me long island has s**t tons of E85 stations around lol 1hr drive to nearest station. but you can always go with pump gas and water/methanol injection

also with E85 your mpg g is down by 50% less so you end up running low really quick also our gas tank aren't that big its actually small. if iwas to run E85 i would personally get a 25-30 gal fuel cell in the trunk so i won't have to fill up as often.

Last edited by a moderator: