'93 ex coupe with d15b non vtec ?????

Dirttypretty

code 0 would be bad ecu/ecm
That's what I was thinking but I wanted to rule everything else out first

the crank angle sensor is only needed for obd2 chassis car/obd2 ecu. you have obd2 engine in a obd1 chassis and most have likely been converted to obd1 and use obd1 ecu
Yeah I think it was converted because the ecu I have now is from an obd1. So the crank sensor couldn't be causing a no fuel no spark?

Is the CEL on even when you don't have the service connector jumped? Or only when it is? I ask because if it's always on, you have code 0
No it's always on even when I don't have it jumped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Maybe the ecu is no good, I'll try another one just in case

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, sounds like an ECU issue. Code 0 either means bad power to the ECU, bad grounds, or a bad ECU. Might as well check your grounds for solid connections to unpainted metal. Pay extra attention to the ground located right below the thermostat housing. Also check the main relay. Check fuses 24 and 31 too.

Dirttypretty

Yeah, sounds like an ECU issue. Code 0 either means bad power to the ECU, bad grounds, or a bad ECU. Might as well check your grounds for solid connections to unpainted metal. Pay extra attention to the ground located right below the thermostat housing. Also check the main relay. Check fuses 24 and 31 too.
How many grounds are there? I've checked all the grounds under hood and all are fine. I just cleaned the g101 a few days ago actually. Checked main relay yesterday and got the correct results. Replaced fuses 24 and 31 this past weekend as well.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How many grounds are there? I've checked all the grounds under hood and all are fine. I just cleaned the g101 a few days ago actually. Checked main relay yesterday and got the correct results. Replaced fuses 24 and 31 this past weekend as well.
I honestly don't remember. But G101 feeds the main replay for the fuel pump, so if that ground is good, the main relay is good, and the fuel pump still isn't kicking in, I don't think it's a grounding issue.

If you unplug the Map sensor connector, turn the key to on II, then test voltage to body ground at the terminals for the YEL/RED wire and WHT wire within the connector, do you get 5V? If not, ECU may very well be bad.

Oh and check fuse 18, as well.

Dirttypretty

I honestly don't remember. But G101 feeds the main replay for the fuel pump, so if that ground is good, the main relay is good, and the fuel pump still isn't kicking in, I don't think it's a grounding issue.

If you unplug the Map sensor connector, turn the key to on II, then test voltage to body ground at the terminals for the YEL/RED wire and WHT wire within the connector, do you get 5V?

Thanks for the picture. I tested the map sensor about a week ago and I remember getting voltage just don't remember if it was 5.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thanks for the picture. I tested the map sensor about a week ago and I remember getting voltage just don't remember if it was 5.
If you can, test it again, and test both terminals in that connector. Both should supply 5v individually. Power from these terminals comes from the ECU.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
you should 3 main grounds harness to thermostate, valve cover to chassis, tranmission to chassis

Dirttypretty

you should 3 main grounds harness to thermostate, valve cover to chassis, tranmission to chassis
Yeah those were the ones I checked. All were good. I put the car in the 2 position and removed the map senor,tps sensor and one more at a time but the cel still stayed on.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ok will do. How do I test it from ecu?
You can test from the terminals inside the map sensor connector. I may have worded that oddly, I was just saying that voltage to that sensor is supplied by the ECU, so you don't get 5V from those connections, that's bad. 5V to one but not the other would indicate an issue with that wire, 5V to neither terminal would indicate an issue with the ECU. You said you got voltage to one, which is a sign that ECU is functioning. But it doesn't hurt to test both and ensure that it's 5V.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
You can test from the terminals inside the map sensor connector. I may have worded that oddly, I was just saying that voltage to that sensor is supplied by the ECU, so you don't get 5V from those connections, that's bad. 5V to one but not the other would indicate an issue with that wire, 5V to neither terminal would indicate an issue with the ECU. You said you got voltage to one, which is a sign that ECU is functioning. But it doesn't hurt to test both and ensure that it's 5V.
also you should see the voltage change from 0-5v

Dirttypretty

Yes got the car fixed! put in a new ecu and heard the fuel pump prime but didn't start. Remebered I forgot to time ignition and boom. Started. Thanks for all the help on here. Appreciate it.