D16y8 Turbo Choice?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Well, I don't think we want to push 350, let alone 400 HP through the stock block. Consensus says between 200 - 240 max and that's pushing it...I tend to agree.

I started to read and study compressor maps and this is what I came up with for the D16Y8 on a T3 60-Trim. If anyone can verify this, I would really appreciate it (please see picture attached) because that means we should be on our way to picking the right turbo.

T3 60-Trim (.42/.48) @ 10lbs of boost would fit our 200 HP goal perfectly and still have a little room to grow. According to the map, this turbo is capable of 300 HP. We only have access to 91 octane here in So Cal but I don't think it'll be a problem, we can add a MLS head gasket to help lower compression a little bit, if necessary. I'm sure similar-sized turbos will have similar results, so the question will come down to price over condition of the turbo. Thanks again!
perfect setup right there that setup should good to 300+hp, and at 200hp you would be in best efficiency range

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
damn you should of kept the welder...
Sold it for more than I bought it so I can't complain really.

Purchased it new with the Runner kit and a load of alum, SS and steel filler rod. Bought for $2300, sold for $2700.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Sold it for more than I bought it so I can't complain really.

Purchased it new with the Runner kit and a load of alum, SS and steel filler rod. Bought for $2300, sold for $2700.
i neeedddd onee so badly so i can weld my bov flang and makemy downpipe thats pretty good made your money back plus more=)

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i neeedddd onee so badly so i can weld my bov flang and makemy downpipe thats pretty good made your money back plus more=)
After I sold the TIG I picked up a flux core welder about a year later. Made a downpipe from a used 2006 Honda Civic SI exhaust piping.
IMG_7091.JPG

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I can vouch the t3 60 trim .42/.48 will be a perfect turbo for streets and lower power goal. They are rated for 300hp but that's max not 300+ hp like Diana Nam states,another user on dseries.org made 279hp on a y8 and said the turbo was running out of breath, if you upgrade one of the housings or compressor/turbine blades later on you can see more power.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I can vouch the t3 60 trim .42/.48 will be a perfect turbo for streets and lower power goal. They are rated for 300hp but that's max not 300+ hp like Diana Nam states,another user on dseries.org made 279hp on a y8 and said the turbo was running out of breath, if you upgrade one of the housings or compressor/turbine blades later on you can see more power.
he can just go up size the compressor wheel and housing, depending what he gets he can make more hp and still have the same spool time as before.

daperez13

Respected
We've been looking for a decent junk-yard T3 .42/.48 but we cannot find one, yet...even if it has to be rebuilt. There was one on an 84 300 ZX with a .63 turbine but there was oil all over it and the exhaust housing had the 7-bolt pattern. Most of the Saabs there are 90's and above as well as the Volvos, T-birds, Mustangs Audis, so forth.

Any suggestions on any other year and vehicle with T3's?

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
have you looked into s15 turbo? and VF turbos from the STI
The IHI VF turbos have an odd three bolt flange and are ridiculously expensive anyway. A TD05 14b with a simple flange adaptor will be the easier and budget friendly way to go for a setup like this.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Vf turbo 3 bolt mount is tdo4 with gt25 downpipe flange he can get the adapters off eBay there's one guy on YouTube that's using Mitsubishi 14b turbo tdo5h

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The 3 bolt mount is a Subaru specific flange, the VF series turbos are not TD04 turbines they are RHF5 turbines made by IHI. All MHI turbines are designated TD0X as far as passenger cars go and the 02-07 WRX got the dinky TD04L 13T. Why change the ENTIRE turbine housing when a simple manifold adapter and some simple exhaust work does the trick? Not to mention AGAIN that the VF turbos are more expensive. And what does one video on youtube have to do with it?

daperez13

Respected
It's cool guys, no need to argue! Everybody has their own experience and opinions. Let's not turn this post into a s**t-hole.

daperez13

Respected
We recently found a TB03 50 Trim .42/.48 which should fit a T3 turbo manifold. It's not a 60 Trim like we would of liked but it'll do for now. Again, we're only looking for 200 HP.

Not arguing, just giving you options to go in the right direction.
Definitely appreciate it brother. You are one of the few that actually provides real insight, I've read a lot of your post. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
The 3 bolt mount is a Subaru specific flange, the VF series turbos are not TD04 turbines they are RHF5 turbines made by IHI. All MHI turbines are designated TD0X as far as passenger cars go and the 02-07 WRX got the dinky TD04L 13T. Why change the ENTIRE turbine housing when a simple manifold adapter and some simple exhaust work does the trick? Not to mention AGAIN that the VF turbos are more expensive. And what does one video on youtube have to do with it?
actually if you look up the VF turbos they are classiied as tdo4 if you look up other td04 it still has the same 3 bolt flange audi k03 and k04 are are tdo4 flanged

i actually looked it up and other tdo4 turbo they all have that same 3 bolt flange but anyways @daperez13 you should give that turbo a try and see what you get but you should try and look up the compressor map for that turbo.

Last edited by a moderator:

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I don't have to look them up, I've rebuilt and sold several of each. TDO4 is a turbine designation not a flange style. VF turbos are made by IHI, Subaru used MHI turbos (the tdo4l turbine which is smaller than the TDO5 14b and 16g and the difference between those two is the compressor wheel and flange outlet dimensions but the flange bolt pattern is the same). Audi koX turbos are old kkk turbos who were bought out by BorgWarner a few years back. The STi, Legacy GT got the IHI 39,40,46,48 and 52 in the states. NONE of them are Mitsubishi turbos.

daperez13

Respected
So we found a used AiResearch TB0382, looks like it's an A/R .42 compressor, 50 Trim. It's both water and oil cooled but according to some research, it seems as though the water lines do not 'have' to be connected.

(1) Is that true, or do they in fact, need to be connected?

(2) If they do, what's the best place to connect them to?

Although our goal is only 200 HP, it seems as though the stock internals will be ok. However, I'm reading about oil issues with the D16Y8 motor. The oil pump has been ported but not shimmed.

(1) Will the D16Z6 or ZC crankshaft fit right in without any modifications?

Based on the compressor map, this turbo should be good to roughly 250 HP.

(1) Is this a good candidate considering it was purchased for $200 (assuming it's in good condition)? I say this because...yes, there are better turbos out there but for more dough.

(2) What will spool be like and what RPM will it drop off at? Red line is at 7K.

Attachments

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Looks like it's off a SAAAAB 900. I'd get it rebuilt since its roughly 25 years old. Internally gated to approx 6psi. Have the wastegate tested and make sure it's good. I'd say it will fully spool around 2800-3200 rpm. Running the coolant lines is a good idea for longevity. There's a couple good writeups on the net about setting up coolant lines on a civic.