Oil change place overfilled my engine - Will it cause damage?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
How would a dipstick even break?
not likely its made of metal thats about 1/16" thick or a little thinner, only time i seen them break is it was bent back and forth to many times on one spot

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's raining here and turning to snow tonight. Don't have a garage so at this point I'll have to drive it like that and hope nothing happens

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
It's raining here and turning to snow tonight. Don't have a garage so at this point I'll have to drive it like that and hope nothing happens
damn that sucks. you might as well just take it easy with the car for the time being

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Does the dipstick look crooked to anyone? At least crooked enough to show a quart over?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
it wouldn't matter the top of the stick stops it and it will only go down to certain height in the oil

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So then my dipstick isn't broken as that oil tech suggested? Lol

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've overfilled once. I used medical tubing to put down the dip stick tube and used a large syringe to extract the extra oil.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've overfilled once. I used medical tubing to put down the dip stick tube and used a large syringe to extract the extra oil.
I actually just tried that and wasn't able to extract too much. It lowered the level about 1/4" from what I posted

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If damage were to happen, wouldn't it have already since I've driven it?

dancam

Registered VIP
If damage were to happen, wouldn't it have already since I've driven it?
Re-read what people said would happen in answer to your first question. None of that causes immediately catastrophic damage. Damage? Most likely, but not that your engine instantly quits. When the guy showed you where your dipstick was broken how would that affect how it measured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How would I know if any damage has occurred? This is bad timing for me. We are getting hit with another 8+ snow storm and I don't have a garage and I need to drive my car.

I do a lot of highway driving, won't the oil just burn off eventually and go to proper level? I believe my car has always burned about 1/2 quart every 1000 miles

dancam

Registered VIP
You could tear the engine apart and look... Otherwise you wont be able to tell. If you burn off 1/2qt per 1000 miles then itl be overfull for 2000 miles if it stays the same. Cars tend to burn it faster when their overfull though. But i dunno, i got a small 2 1/2 ton floor jack with stands for $25 a while back so i have no problem crawling under my car in the dirt or snow. Even with a sizzor jack and stands its not that bad to crawl under... But its up to you if you wanna do it. Other guys had tips, when you tried the syringe did you do it with cold oil or right after driving with hot oil? Hot oil would go way faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It was cold and not driven for couple days. I wasn't sure if I tried with warm engine if the plastic tubing would melt

lo-n-slo

I don't understand what is the big deal. Get under the car, unscrew the plug so that some oil drains out into a pan and recheck the oil level, then wipe the mess up.

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't understand what is the big deal. Get under the car, unscrew the plug so that some oil drains out into a pan and recheck the oil level, then wipe the mess up.
It's due to bad timing. We keep getting hit with snow here in New England and I don't have a garage