MSD Upgrade

cmd2306

I have a 93 Civic VX. I am looking for info concerning using the external MSD blaster coil. The instruction seem pretty staight forward although I haven't actually looked at the wiring yet. I'm considering adding a 6A box also. Anyone out there that has done this coversion?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If I recall correctly, MSD ignition upgrades don't do all that well in Civics, let alone on a Civic VX that barely has 82HP and is designed purely for fuel efficiency.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Do not, I repeat DO NOT upgrade your ignition on a STOCK engine. You will see virtually no real gains in that scenario. If you were running higher compression or turbo, basically anything that increases the cylinder pressure then higher spark voltage is required to produce a "more" complete combustion.

In your setup the MSD 6AL and external coil is not going to do much more for you.

The largest purpose of the 6AL is to provide a wider spark angle, so essentially you can have the 6AL begin/continue producing spark outside of the normal window.

anv2tk

Respected
If I recall correctly, MSD ignition upgrades don't do all that well in Civics, let alone on a Civic VX that barely has 82HP and is designed purely for fuel efficiency.
As I get more familiar with this forum I continue to find interesting topics that spark questions of my own. That being said, and without disrespectfully hijacking the topic :D, why do MSD upgrades not go well with civics, specifically D series engines?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As I get more familiar with this forum I continue to find interesting topics that spark questions of my own. That being said, and without disrespectfully hijacking the topic :D, why do MSD upgrades not go well with civics, specifically D series engines?
Here's where that started for me.
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/civic-hx-msd-ignition-options.227467/

You're well within the topic so its not a thread jacking. As I researched further, I came to the same conclusions. Im not an expert at understanding the technical differences with ignition upgrades (temp., angle, duration), but it all seems to relate to what Spool mentioned and that our cars, moreso the VXs & HXs, are programmed & designed to function at specific efficiency settings. To try to upgrade in performance is to go against their refined design.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
if anything if your going to "upgrade" i would just get CPR(coil plug retro) allows you to use those pencil ignition coil plug. but even so with this setup its a bit over kill for stock setup. your stock ignition is good a lot of people in the old days have ran with stock ignition setup and is making 900+ hp