Reliability of 7th Gen?

zircoben

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to these forums because I'm getting excited for a future Civic im looking to buy. I did some preliminary research and it looks like 7th gen model is inferior to the 6th gen?

So tell me if these things are true:

1. The 7th Generation Civic was plagued with far more engine issues than the 6th gen.

2. Handling sucks on the 7th gen compared to previous generations.

3. The 7th Generation is open to be stolen just as easily as the 6th gen's.

Thank you everyone! Wanted to get some input from some real Civic owners. [emoji2]

dancam

Registered VIP
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to these forums because I'm getting excited for a future Civic im looking to buy. I did some preliminary research and it looks like 7th gen model is inferior to the 6th gen?

So tell me if these things are true:

1. The 7th Generation Civic was plagued with far more engine issues than the 6th gen.

2. Handling sucks on the 7th gen compared to previous generations.

3. The 7th Generation is open to be stolen just as easily as the 6th gen's.

Thank you everyone! Wanted to get some input from some real Civic owners. [emoji2]
1:ya. Maybe far is a bit of an overstatement, but they aren't better anyway.
2:better is subjective. Do you mean softer and nicer or better for racing? They are a nicer, softer ride than a 4th gen but i cant speak for the rest.
3: where did you hear that? No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zircoben

1:ya. Maybe far is a bit of an overstatement, but they aren't better anyway.
2:better is subjective. Do you mean softer and nicer or better for racing? They are a nicer, softer ride than a 4th gen but i cant speak for the rest.
3: where did you hear that? No.

I heard the 6th gen has firmer, more race-tuned suspension.

The theft issue is a big one for me, I'll be in starter-apartment and college environments with this car, so the 7th gen is far harder to steal?

To what extent is the D17 less reliable? Is it just a little more in need of matienance or is the engine as a whole something of a dud?

Thanks!

dancam

Registered VIP
I heard the 6th gen has firmer, more race-tuned suspension.

The theft issue is a big one for me, I'll be in starter-apartment and college environments with this car, so the 7th gen is far harder to steal?

To what extent is the D17 less reliable? Is it just a little more in need of matienance or is the engine as a whole something of a dud?

Thanks!
Ok, that could be, i dont know, im sure a google search will tell you.
Look up what immobilizers are. Makes a car harder to steal.
The engines arent the worst things about this car. They blow head gaskets a lot and throw rod bearings a lot. I started copying threads for you to look at but i stopped. There is tons of info about it on this site. Just go to the 7th gen subforum and look for titles that catch your eye. Tons of recent info. Heres what i started with but just head to that section and start looking.
Maybe getting a 04 Civic, thoughts?
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/index.php?threads/Maybe-getting-a-04-Civic,-thoughts?.229793/

7th gen. Hondas
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/index.php?threads/7th-gen.-Hondas.229776/

2001 Civic EX heating issue
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/index.php?threads/2001-Civic-EX-heating-issue.229665/

Overheated D17A2, installing JDM D17A
http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/index.php?threads/Overheated-D17A2,-installing-JDM-D17A.229335/

zircoben

Thanks a lot for that info! It looks like the D17 is one to avoid overall then. I'm not at all a mechanic who will want to fix it myself.

Did Honda fix just the transmission in the later models or with the 04-05 did they make some improvements to the D17A?

For now, I'll plan on getting a 6th gen with one of those immobilizers. It'll be a pain, but I feel it will be worth it for the superior car.

Thanks again.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok first of all honda never made a reliable automatic transmission. second the engine is just as reliable as the 6th gen when properly maintained. handling is slightly worse because it has mcpherson struts over double wishbone but the cost savings was transferred to the buyer. the 7th gen was equipped with a immobiliser chip which makes it extremely difficult to steal compared to the 6th gen. and i would appreciate that you stop giving false information stop talking out of your ass.

dancam

Registered VIP
ok first of all honda never made a reliable automatic transmission. second the engine is just as reliable as the 6th gen when properly maintained. handling is slightly worse because it has mcpherson struts over double wishbone but the cost savings was transferred to the buyer. the 7th gen was equipped with a immobiliser chip which makes it extremely difficult to steal compared to the 6th gen. and i would appreciate that you stop giving false information stop talking out of your ass.
Who are you addressing?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It shouldn't be an issue. The fact that there is so little aftermarket support for this generation and so few things swap over, whether it be from the previous generation, later generation or even within the generation.
These are by far, are the least desirable generation of Civic, compared to anything before it, and anything after it.

zircoben

It shouldn't be an issue. The fact that there is so little aftermarket support for this generation and so few things swap over, whether it be from the previous generation, later generation or even within the generation.
These are by far, are the least desirable generation of Civic, compared to anything before it, and anything after it.
That's a great point in terms of the stealing risk. Compared to my current Hyundai Accent, it has enormous mod support so the car will be fine for me.

What do you think of the D17A1/2 overall? Is it an unreliable mess or is it just a step down in terms of reliability compared to the older Civic? I haven't heard much good about it.

Thanks!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do you think of the D17A1/2 overall? Is it an unreliable mess or is it just a step down in terms of reliability compared to the older Civic? I haven't heard much good about it.
I see a ton of them out there, but this motor was only used for one generation too.
Draw your own conclusions.

dancam

Registered VIP
Most motors die from lack of maintenance. If a certain vehicle has a significant amount of engines dying with proper maintenance, and/or early and not being beat on then i call that unreliable. Is it really bad? No. How does it compare with other vehicles? I dont know enough other vehicles. But following a manufacturers maintenance schedule, not beating on the car and not parking it for long periods any gas engine should easily last 400k miles and be expected to last 500+. if it doesn't then thats a bad engine. If lots do it then the engines were made bad or the maintenance schedule is off. But very few vehicles get proper maintenance after 200k. Civics shouldn't throw bearings, break rods at 100-200k with proper maintenance or blow head gaskets without gauges reading hot first and these do. The one i have has been good for the engine.

zircoben

Most motors die from lack of maintenance. If a certain vehicle has a significant amount of engines dying with proper maintenance, and/or early and not being beat on then i call that unreliable. Is it really bad? No. How does it compare with other vehicles? I dont know enough other vehicles. But following a manufacturers maintenance schedule, not beating on the car and not parking it for long periods any gas engine should easily last 400k miles and be expected to last 500+. if it doesn't then thats a bad engine. If lots do it then the engines were made bad or the maintenance schedule is off. But very few vehicles get proper maintenance after 200k. Civics shouldn't throw bearings, break rods at 100-200k with proper maintenance or blow head gaskets without gauges reading hot first and these do. The one i have has been good for the engine.

Thanks for that bit! That's exactly what I've been looking for. I hate being confined to choosing between a 6th and an 8th gen.

So you don't think they 'fixed' it with the facelifted 7th gen models? I'll be buying a manual transmission one anyone, so the issues surrounding the auto aren't a concern for me.

Sounds like the D17 is more on par with a domestic automaker's quality standard.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it is a Honda civic, if you look in the dictionary for the word reliability, it will have a Toyota camry as the definition, BUT the second definition will be Honda civic. so that's something

dancam

Registered VIP
Honda be like: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455862595.933085.jpg cos were reliable!
Honda is 9th on the list coming out of the 7th gen civics but of course this covers all models. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455862654.187565.jpg they are a lot lower in europe. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455862676.133164.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455862689.039678.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455862703.954742.jpg

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Kinda wish you typed a bit more coherently... I can not decipher most of your posts :-\

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honda be like .... cos were reliable!
Honda is 9th on the list coming out of the 7th gen civics but of course this covers all models.
View attachment 27339

they are a lot lower in europe.

View attachment 27340

Considering how incredibly flawed their ranking standards are, these lists mean very little. One big technicality is that they rank this solely from REPORTED dealership repairs. At least in the US, most of us know that dealership "technicians" are not well skilled which leads to all sorts of misdiagnosis and additionally incurred repairs, or just repairs on things that arent even damaged. Here's where VW takes advantage of this: if repairs are ridiculously expensive then most people wont go to a dealership for repairs and instead seek out less expensive & well-skilled private mechanics. Hence, why VW tends to be ranked much better than reality dictates.

Then theres the willful ignorance of owners who dont seek to resolve issues. Lets be honest, some brands like KIA or anything related to Ford are very prone to this behavior. Then there are the simple repairs people take care of themselves that are not quantified.

Let me point out that your first graph is from 2005, for those who dont notice. In the last 10+ years, these lists have become more flawed & bias. VWs recent huge emmissions scam attests to how some companies try to manipulate the system.

So in conclusion, JD Power's flawed rankings are nothing more than a marketting tool. Nothing is more honest than an experienced mechanics opinion & the general consensus' on forums.

Last edited:

zircoben

Considering how incredibly flawed their ranking standards are, these lists mean very little. One big technicality is that they rank this solely from REPORTED dealership repairs. At least in the US, most of us know that dealership "technicians" are not well skilled which leads to all sorts of misdiagnosis and additionally incurred repairs, or just repairs on things that arent even damaged. Here's where VW takes advantage of this: if repairs are ridiculously expensive then most people wont go to a dealership for repairs and instead seek out less expensive & well-skilled private mechanics. Hence, why VW tends to be ranked much better than reality dictates.

Then theres the willful ignorance of owners who dont seek to resolve issues. Lets be honest, some brands like KIA or anything related to Ford are very prone to this behavior. Then there are the simple repairs people take care of themselves that are not quantified.
That's very interesting, thanks for that.

Would you trust a subscriber-based reliability report like Consumer Reports more then?

What did you mean there at the end with Kia and Ford? People simply have an issue and live with it?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's very interesting, thanks for that.
Im glad to help.

Would you trust a subscriber-based reliability report like Consumer Reports more then?
So long as its individual testimony or that from an unbiased source, then yes. Keep in mind some of those reports are secretly funded by some manufacturers. I read a while back that either JD Power or another major reporting source was at least partially funded by a major manufacturer, although I dont recall which one for certain. They funded it using a secondary company without the direct brand name.

What did you mean there at the end with Kia and Ford? People simply have an issue and live with it?
Just think of the average demographic who buys a typical KIA. Theyre either bought for a child or bought by someone without a large income. Most people in those categories arent car savvy & think if the car still runs then its not important. Many Ford owners have a similar mindset.

dancam

Registered VIP
Just think of the average demographic who buys a typical KIA. Theyre either bought for a child or bought by someone without a large income. Most people in those categories arent car savvy & think if the car still runs then its not important. Many Ford owners have a similar mindset.
That has more to do with the model not the manufacturer. Someone who buys a ford GT or a $60,000 diesel ford is different than someone who bought a fiesta or focus. Same as someone who buys a dodge dart or neon compared to a viper or $60k diesel. What you said about kia is typical for honda civic owners as well but not someone who paid $47,000 for a honda pilot or someone who paid $65,000 for a kia k900.
There is no way to conclusively rate manufacturers or even specific models, those charts are one tool in a hundred you could use to help you decide what to buy.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That has more to do with the model not the manufacturer. Someone who buys a ford GT or a $60,000 diesel ford is different than someone who bought a fiesta or focus. Same as someone who buys a dodge dart or neon compared to a viper or $60k diesel. What you said about kia is typical for honda civic owners as well but not someone who paid $47,000 for a honda pilot or someone who paid $65,000 for a kia k900.
There is no way to conclusively rate manufacturers or even specific models, those charts are one tool in a hundred you could use to help you decide what to buy.
I said "average owner" because Ford, for example, sells hundreds if not thousands of Fiestas or Focuses to each GT, diesel, or uncommon higher end trim. So while those charts are tools, I strongly feel theyre fall less accurate or trustworthy then many are made to believe. Im sute you still agree that nothing is more valuable than real person feedback & experience.