Thinking of buying a gen 7 to tune up as a toy. Lemme hear your wise words.

jbaird1992

Just as the title states.
I'm leaving for a 9 month rotation for uncle Sam to a very special juicy country, going to come back to a decent amount of pocket change. What's the best gen 7 honda to tune? How much am i looking to spend? What parts should I buy, and what stock parts are better left under the hood?

Budget-friendly versus performance parts advice is always welcome.

TIA

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
Well it doesn't really matter which engine wise, you'll want to swap in another engine and wiring harness no matter what trim. Cept if you find an si. Some have a rear sway bar and some dont so you could look for that, but why a 7th gen? They are one of the worse civics as far as benefits from tuning as far as i understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbaird1992

Well it doesn't really matter which engine wise, you'll want to swap in another engine and wiring harness no matter what trim. Cept if you find an si. Some have a rear sway bar and some dont so you could look for that, but why a 7th gen? They are one of the worse civics as far as benefits from tuning as far as i understand.

I honestly looked around on Craig's list in my area and found most 7 gen civics are pretty cheap and abundant, I own an 08 civic but my wife won't let me touch it [family car]. What's your recommendation then? I'm kinda familiar with honda more so than other cars and want a toy to tune And whip around.

dancam

Registered VIP
I honestly looked around on Craig's list in my area and found most 7 gen civics are pretty cheap and abundant, I own an 08 civic but my wife won't let me touch it [family car]. What's your recommendation then? I'm kinda familiar with honda more so than other cars and want a toy to tune And whip around.

I would suggest a 2000 civic. Or like a 98 acura integra. Basically a civic. What about old s2000's? Ill see if i can think of anything else, but you gotta put a ton of money into a 7th gen all at once and they arent much fun.

dancam

Registered VIP
My brothers current project is an 80's toyota MR2. Its a fun car if your interested in learning other stuff. 2 seater, super light, mid engine, rear drive, super handling. My brother is going for just over 400hp, but it was fun stock too. 7500rpm redline stock i think and i think he is raising it to 8500, lol. I like the older body styles better than the 90's but check em out!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454904190.560249.jpg
My brothers when he got it^
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454904213.935544.jpg
Custom dash^
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454904248.426020.jpg

Last edited:

lo-n-slo

Just as the title states.
I'm leaving for a 9 month rotation for uncle Sam to a very special juicy country, going to come back to a decent amount of pocket change. What's the best gen 7 honda to tune? How much am i looking to spend? What parts should I buy, and what stock parts are better left under the hood?

Budget-friendly versus performance parts advice is always welcome.

TIA

Juicy country, lol. Korea or Japan? I just got back from Korea, but it was so expensive I didn't get to save much money.

jbaird1992

My brothers current project is an 80's toyota MR2. Its a fun car if your interested in learning other stuff. 2 seater, super light, mid engine, rear drive, super handling. My brother is going for just over 400hp, but it was fun stock too. 7500rpm redline stock i think and i think he is raising it to 8500, lol. I like the older body styles better than the 90's but check em out!
View attachment 27281
My brothers when he got it^
View attachment 27282
Custom dash^
View attachment 27283
Hot damn, how much he put into that out of pocket?

Juicy country, lol. Korea or Japan? I just got back from Korea, but it was so expensive I didn't get to save much money.
Definitely Korea. I don't drink or go to clubs. I'll be putting some cash into a decent computer for my first project and my second will be a car when I come home. My wife will be working while I'm gone, after doing the math and after the per diem she doesn't know about yet, I'll come into enough to play with lol.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

lo-n-slo

Definitely Korea. I don't drink or go to clubs. I'll be putting some cash into a decent computer for my first project and my second will be a car when I come home. My wife will be working while I'm gone, after doing the math and after the per diem she doesn't know about yet, I'll come into enough to play with lol.

Yeah, I said the same thing. Sitting in the barracks gets awful boring after awhile. I was at Hovey though and there wasn't much to do up there but get out to keep your sanity. There's good travel, but still a pain due to curfews and restrictions. I didn't get the extra pay because my tour was considered a pcs. 15 months that was like career purgatory.
Honestly if you want a tuner car, get something better than a slow civic. Only reason I do it is because I already have one. There are more fun cars out there. Civics are so limited unless you want to drop a lot of $ on it. I'd rather be building a notchback Mustang.

dancam

Registered VIP
Hot damn, how much he put into that out of pocket?

Sorry, should have been more clear. He is in the middle of his build. The top pic is his car before he started, the other 2 pics are other peoples mr2's. He isnt done, so i dunno how much itl cost, but fairly cheap for what he expects to get out of it from what i understand.

bubbajerm

Respected
Whatever you get, make sure it's at least 5 sp manual. Esp if you decide 7th gen. The autos are trash, that's really why they're so cheap. People b*tch about having to replace the sh*tty auto tranny bc it's expensive. Don't make that mistake. Get a manny tranny.

02Civic_EM2