Project HX: Efficient Style

lo-n-slo

The car looks great! Are those stock side skirts or aftermarket?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The front lower bumper grille is installed.
20160209_180254-1.jpg
20160209_180240-1.jpg

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Wow that grill actually looks dope (and your tint too). Did you just buy the grill wire (not sure what to call it) and put it on yourself?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow that grill actually looks dope (and your tint too).
Thanks.

Did you just buy the grill wire (not sure what to call it) and put it on yourself?
No. Its a GrillCraft MX series '96-'98 Civic lower grille insert that originally came in silver but I spray painted in gloss black. I found it in a junkyard.

... I cut slots out for the fog lights for a clean look.
Here's what it originally looks like. HON1110S.jpg

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's the most important part! :thumbs up
Yup. This thread is about sharing my progress and my processes for input & to share knowledge & personal design tastes. As @CHILD stated elsewhere, contrasting his level of build with mine, both being '97HXs, shows people there are many different approaches to personalizing a car.

It's definitely not at all about appeasing anyone. The moment you make your build about others first is the moment you lose all hope at being happy with what you accomplish.

anv2tk

Respected
As for this theory about not regapping platinum or iridium tipped plugs, it just doesnt make sense to me unless excessive force is introduced. Its visually obvious whether or not you damage the tips so if its done carefully (as I did) then it should not be an issue.

Furthermore, traditional practice (as I'm aware of) is to never assume a pre-gap is accurate. Plug gaps should always be confirmed and adjusted if needed. I suspect part of this anti-gapping theory may just be a tactic to encourage added sales of these pricier and longer lasting products.
I'm right there with you man, about not assuming a pre gap is accurate. I have gone through my fair share of NGK's for my civic, and after checking them, they all varied from to much to not enough gap. As for the iridium plugs ... well I had an accord with a K24 and it required iridium NGK's. When I was ready to replace them and got ready to check the gap, I realized 2 things: 1 the pre gap was within the tolerance and 2 the tip is so fine that you're almost too scared to break them as they cost $10 per plug. I had the same experience with my Odyssey with runs the same plugs as the K24 engine. Just food for thought ...

Glad you're one of the good guys though ... (using OEM approved parts and not falling for advertised bs)

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm right there with you man, about not assuming a pre gap is accurate. I have gone through my fair share of NGK's for my civic, and after checking them, they all varied from to much to not enough gap. As for the iridium plugs ... well I had an accord with a K24 and it required iridium NGK's. When I was ready to replace them and got ready to check the gap, I realized 2 things: 1 the pre gap was within the tolerance and 2 the tip is so fine that you're almost too scared to break them as they cost $10 per plug. I had the same experience with my Odyssey with runs the same plugs as the K24 engine. Just food for thought ...
Oh, I understand. However, Ive regapped iridium plugs before and it only takes patience to do so without damaging the iridium tip.

Glad you're one of the good guys though ... (using OEM approved parts and not falling for advertised bs)
Thanks. I definitely prefer to use OEM Honda because its well known that their parts are superior to most aftermarket equivalents. However, I question everything until proven to be worthwhile. Im a research junkie for a reason.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What a drive home from work. Something darted out in from of me, got hit, and dented the newly installed grille while it shattered my driver side fog light.

A mile from that, some fool nearly side swiped me.

2 miles from that, some dumb f*ck in a turning lane for a shopping center decided at the last second they didnt want to turn then sharply just jerked into my lane while I was next to them and missed hitting me by inches thanks to my reaction time. Then they turned into the next entrance anyways! I was so tempted to pull in and scare the sh*t out of them.

Needless to say, Im just staying home tonight.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's a shot of the fog light covered in plastic to prevent water damage to the bulb still in there. I havent been in the mood to take off the bumper to remove the bulb.
20160214_170305.jpg

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This thread makes me miss my Hx.
It wasn't as nice as yours, but I still miss it!

Here's a shot of the fog light covered in plastic to prevent water damage to the bulb still in there. I havent been in the mood to take off the bumper to remove the bulb.
If I recall correctly, you don't need to remove the bumper to remove the light to access the bulb.
You should be able to access and back out the long silver bolt that holds the housing in, then just pull the housing out.