Interior lights won't work

Kyle Jilbert

Fuse blows immediately every time I tried to put a new one in
I'm thinking there's a short somewhere?
How would I go about finding/fixing the short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marcitos_98

If you did a radio change then check you're wiring and make sure there's no shorts. Bcuz that's what happened to my friend in his em1, he changed the radio and blew the dash lights. And everytime you tried putting a new fuse it would blow immediately

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kyle Jilbert

Hmm, it actually started happening after I installed an LED dome light. I had the front two LEDs for a while with no problems but just got around to putting the middle bulb in.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Hmm, it actually started happening after I installed an LED dome light. I had the front two LEDs for a while with no problems but just got around to putting the middle bulb in.

check the wiring for the middle one, this would be good time to pull out that dvom meter

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Like a multimeter to test ohms/voltage? How would I go about finding a possible short with one?

yes thats the meter just test it at the light and trace the other end of the wire and test it there. it should read same voltage that the power is coming from to and from the light assembly

Kyle Jilbert

yes thats the meter just test it at the light and trace the other end of the wire and test it there. it should read same voltage that the power is coming from to and from the light assembly
Ah Thanks, a buddy has one so hopefully this weekend I'll get it figured out!

Kyle Jilbert

So on Saturday I pulled the dome light housing thing out and right above it found that there was a few sections of bare wire exposed, with some loose duct tape wrapped around then by the previous owner.
I wrapped the wires really good with electrical tape and put a fuse in and boom everything worked.

But today before school I had them on, and all of the sudden they went out.
I just checked and the 7.5a fuse was blown again so I replaced it and they worked fine

But I'm wondering what's happening? Why did the fuse randomly blow today? Do I have another short besides the one I found? I'm scared that my car is gonna catch on fire lol, someone reassure me that I'm fine

Also I have an aftermarket head unit, amp and sub, and footwell lights that are wired to the dome light

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
So on Saturday I pulled the dome light housing thing out and right above it found that there was a few sections of bare wire exposed, with some loose duct tape wrapped around then by the previous owner.
I wrapped the wires really good with electrical tape and put a fuse in and boom everything worked.

But today before school I had them on, and all of the sudden they went out.
I just checked and the 7.5a fuse was blown again so I replaced it and they worked fine

But I'm wondering what's happening? Why did the fuse randomly blow today? Do I have another short besides the one I found? I'm scared that my car is gonna catch on fire lol, someone reassure me that I'm fine

Also I have an aftermarket head unit, amp and sub, and footwell lights that are wired to the dome light

Car won't catch on fire as long as there is a fuse in the circuit. Just a heads up DO NOT install a fuse with higher amp so that it stops blowing, that's exactly how a fire could potentially start since the cables are design to withstand a certain current through them. I'd suggest the reason it blew is probably due to the tape? I mean I doubt you have another place where the wires are bald/cut/etc.
Wait your footwell lights are wired STRAIGHT to the dome light? So you're adding lights to your circuit? if so that is your problem right there. Those footwell lights should have their own power source, but get the signal of the dome light to turn on.
Just my .02 cents, I'm not an Electrical Engineer or anything, still a college student lol.

Kyle Jilbert

Car won't catch on fire as long as there is a fuse in the circuit. Just a heads up DO NOT install a fuse with higher amp so that it stops blowing, that's exactly how a fire could potentially start since the cables are design to withstand a certain current through them. I'd suggest the reason it blew is probably due to the tape? I mean I doubt you have another place where the wires are bald/cut/etc.
Wait your footwell lights are wired STRAIGHT to the dome light? So you're adding lights to your circuit? if so that is your problem right there. Those footwell lights should have their own power source, but get the signal of the dome light to turn on.
Just my .02 cents, I'm not an Electrical Engineer or anything, still a college student lol.
Yeah, the wire for the footwell lights is basically just connected by putting positive and negative side of the wire into where the bulb connects

How would I properly wire them in?
Basically all it is is the strip of LEDs and then two sides of copper wire coming off of it

Also I installed my fog lights and button by just splicing them into behind the cig lighter, is this a problem too?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah, the wire for the footwell lights is basically just connected by putting positive and negative side of the wire into where the bulb connects

How would I properly wire them in?
Basically all it is is the strip of LEDs and then two sides of copper wire coming off of it

Also I installed my fog lights and button by just splicing them into behind the cig lighter, is this a problem too?

Disclaimer: someone correct me if anything is wrong with what I say, I'm no expert in electricity.
So you basically added a bulb into the circuit and expected current not go up? I believe that adding a bulb would increase the current you are running, and making the fuse pop.
Fog lights have 3 different wires, negative, positive, and signal. If you connected the signal to the cig lighter, I don't see a problem with this. If you connected the positive cable to the cig then there is a problem.
I know in some cars the cig lighter and dome lights (including other things) are all wired in the same circuit, can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Kyle Jilbert

Disclaimer: someone correct me if anything is wrong with what I say, I'm no expert in electricity.
So you basically added a bulb into the circuit and expected current not go up? I believe that adding a bulb would increase the current you are running, and making the fuse pop.
Fog lights have 3 different wires, negative, positive, and signal. If you connected the signal to the cig lighter, I don't see a problem with this. If you connected the positive cable to the cig then there is a problem.
I know in some cars the cig lighter and dome lights (including other things) are all wired in the same circuit, can anyone confirm if this is the case?
Yeah, I don't know too much about electrical stuff, a buddy told me I could wire the footwell lights like that and it worked for months so I didn't see a problem with it

And the fog lights were an eBay kit and came with a bunch of seemingly unnecessary plugs, I basically cut a few of those off and spliced the switch and relay box into the cig lighter and everything still works exactly how it should regardless of the interior lights working or not

Mumbaki

Hi i'm new in here.

I have 04 civic ex with the same problem with kyle mine only is that the auto door light just stop working after having a short on the led footwell that i am installing the manual "on" is working properly its just when i open any door the dome light is not turning on i've check the fuses but everything is fine. So please could anyone help me? Thank in advance.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Hi i'm new in here.

I have 04 civic ex with the same problem with kyle mine only is that the auto door light just stop working after having a short on the led footwell that i am installing the manual "on" is working properly its just when i open any door the dome light is not turning on i've check the fuses but everything is fine. So please could anyone help me? Thank in advance.

Have you tried opening all doors from the inside to see if it's just the driver side door that won't turn on the dome light?

Mumbaki

Have you tried opening all doors from the inside to see if it's just the driver side door that won't turn on the dome light?
Hi speed thanks for the response.
Anyway, yes I have open all the doors but light is not turning on. It turns on only if you put the switch to "on" position.

Before i install my footwell led's evryting is working properly it turns on in the door position switch. Here is What happen, after connecting all the necessary wiring where the negative wire is spliced to the negative/door signal switch wire at the dome light, and the positive wire which i used a "add-a circuit fuse tap" to tap it to the fuse box under the dash so as to have a separate power and fuse. Now i tested the led and it is working( turns on when the door opens and turns on when you unlock the door using the key fob), it dims as well like the dome light when locked.

Meanwhile, when i was sticking the led to the front and rear footwell, one of the led at the rear seat was not sticking properly. And so i ask my cousin to go and stick it using a cable tie, but he accidentally pulled the cable tie hard that the two wires(+/-) from the led had touched each other. That's where the short started that even the led silicone cover had melted and smoke came out from that short.

Now everything stops working, my door light and led is not turning on now. Check all the fuses under the dash and bonnet, one by one remove the fuse but nothing was blown. Door jam switch is working properly because i tested the led from there after the short and they turn on.

My question is, is there something burned like relays or anything. Because the fuse are all fine nothing is blown. I really am lost and helpless right now. Please help is really appreciated. Thank you.

Kyle Jilbert

I took out the footwell lights and tried a new fuse but they still won't work. I have no clue what to do next :(

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Looking at diagrams of the electrical things you were messing with you would definitely help you locate any relay and fuses you need to check. After re reading your post, I realize that because of that short, this might have compromised some cable along the circuit. The worse part about this is that unless you see it, it's impossible to know where without just checking the whole circuit, which is probably a pain.