Front bumper damaged: repair or swap?

BrandonC92

Respected
So my '98 civic dx coupe front bumper is cracked a lot on the drivers side I was wondering how people got there's to look kind of stiched together I've seen fenders connected to bumpers with some sort of metal it looks like they welded on but I've seen people with sort of zip ties but not holding the broken pieces of bumper into place I was wondering how to do this or if I should just go to a junk yard and replace it myself

Also looking for a front end kit (not bumper) looking for the parts to my front suspension struts ball joints things of that nature that have worn down over years

Last edited:

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Well this is a bit broad, and mildly bad writing for the question. But I'm assuming you want a body kit? or just a front bumper that has like a lip put on?
Best answer is to do some research yourself since there are a lot of options out there.
Here are some quick searches:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1996+civic+body+kit.TRS2&_nkw=1996+civic+body+kit&_sacat=0
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1996+civic+body+kit&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.X1996+civic+front+lip.TRS0&_nkw=1996+civic+front+lip&_sacat=0
http://www.andysautosport.com/body_kits/honda_civic.html

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well there's various ways to tackle this issue you have. it all depends if you want to spend money on a bumper or just stitch it up. are you talking about the bumper fasteners?

BrandonC92

Respected
Maybe that's what they are I'm not to sure. I know I could most likely get one at a junk yard and replace it completely (did it with my fender) but that's a little pricey

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Maybe that's what they are I'm not to sure. I know I could most likely get one at a junk yard and replace it completely (did it with my fender) but that's a little pricey
you can use zip ties to stitch it back together. or you can use epoxy to put the bumper together..

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
should get the bys Airwalker front bumper i think it the best looking aero front bumper besides the stock one

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@BrandonC92, I merged both your posts (front bumper, front end kit) as theyre both related and I believe it will benefit you to discuss both options at once. I also merged each first post & tweaked some of the wording so they make sense together.

Post a picture so we can know the extent of the damage & give better suggestions.

Also, what do you mean by front end kit? Do you mean a lip or an aftermarket bumper? Being that you seem to have cost concerns, I doubt you refer to a '99-'00 Civic front end swap.

BrandonC92

Respected
@BrandonC92, I merged both your posts (front bumper, front end kit) as theyre both related and I believe it will benefit you to discuss both options at once. I also merged each first post & tweaked some of the wording so they make sense together.

Post a picture so we can know the extent of the damage & give better suggestions.

Also, what do you mean by front end kit? Do you mean a lip or an aftermarket bumper? Being that you seem to have cost concerns, I doubt you refer to a '99-'00 Civic front end swap.
Sorry the way I worded it was awful. I mean like new struts suspension ball joints things of that nature

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry the way I worded it was awful. I mean like new struts suspension ball joints things of that nature
For your sake, edit your first post to reflect exactly what you mean.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
If you want the 'JDM Y0' style I'd recommend doing what Diana said, and zip tie (with the tying point on the inside of the bumper so it looks better).
I wouldn't personally repair that, I'd just get a new bumper since they are pretty cheap.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I agree to replace the bumper with one from a junkyard with as bad a damage as that is. Call your local pull-a-part yards because one really shouldnt cost more than $60.

If you insist to rig it for now, then do as 5speedEJ6 suggested & tie strap it with the fasteners on the inside. Start from the crack point(s) in the middle of the bumper and work your way towards the top.