1981 Toyota Starlet build.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I saw this on craiglist and couldn't resist.

1981 KP61 Toyota Starlet

It runs, but not well... that's of no importance though. Going to be a resto/mod project.
Having it towed to my shop today, so I can clean it up and get a better idea of just what I have ahead of me.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sign me up! Rotary swap it!!!!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I love these cars. I have seen so many swaps done on them. It is going to be a massive amount of work but when its done its worth every ounce of blood, sweat and tears from bashing your knuckles.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It figures that I bring a project up to work, and all the sudden, I'm slammed with lots of customer work.
I wasn't able to push it in and get it on a lift yet, but I snapped a few pictures before it got too dark.

Massive 1290cc push rod BEAST of a law mower engine.... just for comparison sake, a Hayabusa's engine is 1311cc's

Nasty spaghetti mess.

Found out most of the A/C hardware is still intact.. will need custom hoses under the hood, but I should be able to make it operational eventually.
Lots of cleaning and planning to do.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This looks so legit. Mind if I ask how much you picked this up for?
$2k. Seems like a lot, but the RA29 Celica's, and TE27/37 Corollas I was looking at are selling for well above $3k for rusted out shells. And this one already has rack and pinion steering, and AE86 running gear is almost bolt on. Not to mention, within' the last two weeks, I've seen an AE86 rolling chassis (body, suspension, otherwise gutted) listed for $3k and sold the next day, and then an automatic AE86 listed for $4500 and sold the next day.

I like the look of those Starion wheels on it. I hope you intend to keep them. Any idea why just one is painted red?
I have no real explanation for the red wheel. I do know one of the previous owners was a local artist/photographer... my wife found him on Facebook. I messaged him, trying to get a little back history on the car, but he hasn't replied to my messages yet. I may seem like a nut though.
The wheels are staying for now, but I think eventually I'll want some a bit wider.

Coolness. Other plans?
Strip it down to the shell and figure out what's usable and what needs replacing. Minor body repairs, prep and paint (very likely Lexus Starfire Pearl White).
Exterior trim is going to be the hardest stuff to find. The front grill, and headlight trim have seen better days. At least the rest of the world has these cars in abundance.
I'm undecided about the roof basket...

AE86 front suspension, brakes, etc. Rear suspension is going to stay Starlet for a while. I've already figured out what LSD I can use with the rear drive, but the rear axles are tiny, and there will definitely be no drag racing or drifting with that unit. Eventually I want to convert it over to use an IS300 or S13 independent rear suspension. Less un-sprung weight, more diff/suspension options, adjustable.

Got a buddy in Australia that's going to his local Lexus dealer to price and availability check a factory IS200 EWD (electrical wiring diagram) for me, so I can make a properly running 3SGE. I've also seen someone else with the swap use the Altezza/IS gauges, because none of the Starlet gauges will work with the signals off the ECU for the motor. But I don't know yet if I want to do that or use aftermarket gauges.

But, with two kids running around now, I don't see any of this happening quickly. Time is the most expensive part of this whole project.

My Civic, the ever reliable daily driver, is on hold indefinitely.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I was amazed that once I had them side by side, the Starlet is actually a good bit smaller than the civic.

Also picked this up.

I'm also expecting a front grill, and some headlight bezels today from an eBay purchase. I found a guy in England that makes reproduction fiberglass bumpers, but I'm undecided on whether I want to go with OEM style bumpers or not.

I got in touch with the owner on the title, but that's going to be a no go, so I'm going Wednesday to file for a bonded title, to at least get the car in my name.... I have found out that this car has somehow been bought and sold 3 times since the titled owner sold it in 2012. One of the previous owners is the friend of someone I work with... no idea how they've been driving it around with inspection and registration that expired in August 2012.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Alright, this has been sitting, but not forgotten. Been really busy, and now it seems like every time I'm going to head out and work on it, clouds blow in and it starts raining.

I've had far too much time to think... reconsidering my motor options. And after spending a weekend working on my mom's minivan, I'm really considering using an Odyssey J35A in a rear wheel drive configuration, but I'm not sure it's worth the headache of trying to make an adapter for fitting to an S2000 transmission or not. It's been done several times, and there's even a kit out there for it (but it's prohibitively expensive) so I know it's possible.
Some people I've told about the idea have questioned the added weight, but the 3S is a heavy iron block, and the 6 speed transmission it comes bolted to is massive. So the all aluminum J35 and tiny (relatively) S2000 transmission come out weighing slightly less, from everything I can find.

Any opinions?

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just checking in here. I've spent the past year collecting parts and tools, saving money, thinking about just what I really wanted to do with this car (at one point I even thought about abandoning and selling the project, but that went away pretty quickly). I'm about ready to actually get started on it.

Surprisingly, my wife supports this project, so I should be able to make some real progress on it over the coming year. I may blog or YouTube my progress as I go, in addition to posting here.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've gutted the car, and started building the fuel tank for a Walbridge 255lph fuel pump. Taking forever to get anything done, trying to capture everything on video.

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just to give an idea what I'm doing with the tank. Don't worry, only about 2" of that box is going to be sticking out of the bottom of the tank.

As it turns out, the tank isn't made of nearly as thick of material as I would have expected, and it's galvanized. Pulling my hair out trying not to burn through anything.