Exhaust routing and backpressure

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Welp... I did something that I now feel dumb and guilty for. I bought some eBay exhaust kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/351415528057

I spent a very :cry: large amount of planned and budgeted money for many things on my hatch in prep for boost. Later, I realized that I had completely forgot the exhaust setup after the downpipe. So, I looked for something (relatively) cheap with decent piping size. Did I pick terribly? I know this kit has several curves in it and it may rust out or break in 6 months. I just did my best to pick something that will do for now.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Will it do for now? That's up to you whether you like the tone of the exhaust or not. Will it break in 6 months? possibly, depends on how low your car is and how much you scrape it.
Other good options you have for exhaust systems (full ones) are MagnaFlow, Yonaka, I'm sure there are more out there (specially if you are willing to spend a lot such as Apexi WSII).

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Will it do for now? That's up to you whether you like the tone of the exhaust or not. Will it break in 6 months? possibly, depends on how low your car is and how much you scrape it.
Other good options you have for exhaust systems (full ones) are MagnaFlow, Yonaka, I'm sure there are more out there (specially if you are willing to spend a lot such as Apexi WSII).
I'm not low. Hella functional is what I prefer lol. I was considering Thermal Turbo Exhaust but I hadn't heard of them until I started looking tonight. Anyone have experience with them?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
the bends are there so it will fit. if you have enough ground clearance you can just make the exhaust go under the lca to have less bend

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It looks flimsy just in the pictures. Be prepared to sound like a ricer with that muffler. That'll be a shame considering how much money you must've out in for the boost set-up.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I spent a very :cry: large amount of planned and budgeted money for many things on my hatch in prep for boost.
After all the supposed money spent, why would you even consider cheaping out on an exhaust.
Based off the looks of it physically and price alone, I wouldn't have even considered it.
It's sad to see money wasted, especially when it could have gone towards something else.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Be prepared to sound like a ricer with that muffler. That'll be a shame considering how much money you must've out in for the boost set-up.
After all the supposed money spent, why would you even consider cheaping out on an exhaust.
Based off the looks of it physically and price alone, I wouldn't have even considered it.
It's sad to see money wasted, especially when it could have gone towards something else.
I disagree. See below. ;)

@A]]Th!ngSound , you'll probably be fine. Exhaust systems sound a LOT different once you add a turbo to them.

For what it's worth, I bought an identically priced cheap exhaust on eBay when I did my boost install. I bought it for the piping and also purchased a Vibrant muffler to go with it, being afraid that the eBay exhaust alone would sound crappy. I returned the Vibrant muffler -- I was pleasantly surprised at how the exhaust sounded. It was not ricey, or raspy. A little loud on a cold start, and a little drone on the highway, but otherwise no problems! (Oh, and I was NEVER pulled over for exhaust while I had this on.

Of course, this being an eBay special, it could be hit or miss. But, I say go for it, and if you don't like it, you can always change it it after.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I disagree. See below. ;)
Of course, this being an eBay special, it could be hit or miss. But, I say go for it, and if you don't like it, you can always change it it after.
But why chance it and burn money that could have better been spent elsewhere.
You're not just paying for the sound, for me, it's the overall quality of the muffler, piping, bends and welds.
No point in buying a junk system if it's only going to last a year or so.

I'll just agree to disagree.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
But why chance it and burn money that could have better been spent elsewhere.
You're not just paying for the sound, for me, it's the overall quality of the muffler, piping, bends and welds.
No point in buying a junk system if it's only going to last a year or so.

I'll just agree to disagree.
Well in a way, he did spend the money elsewhere.. in his turbo build haha

And I get you, just through personal experience I had no issues. I may have just gotten lucky as I'm sure these types of things are hit or miss. Mine lasted 3 years and would have lasted longer; it was the rest of the car that rusted away :lol: Damn WNY salt...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Xplod3r, for his sake I hope he ends up with a good one like you did, but as @Mr.Baker suggested, I too agree thst itsnot worth the risk. If it were me. I wouldve just had the stock piping modded for the moment & pulled a solid muffler off a sporty car in a junkyard. That might cost about as much as the ebay kit itself. Now keep in mind i wouldnt risk the eBay crap shoot what with my luck so Im a little bias.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldve just had the stock piping modded for the moment & pulled a solid muffler off a sporty car in a junkyard. That might cost about as much as the ebay kit itself. Now keep in mind i wouldnt risk the eBay crap shoot what with my luck so Im a little bias.
The issue with that, is the stock piping is too narrow for a boost setup. But I hear you, many people have had horror stories with eBay purchases.

The other issue with purchasing a high end exhaust, is that it's pretty common for the turbo downpipe flange to mismatch that of the exhaust. This means the end of the exhaust has to be cut to fit the flange of the downpipe. This was the case with my exhaust.. tuner had to put a tiny flex pipe on the downpipe and weld the other end to the exhaust. I'd hate to drop $500 on an exhaust that would have to be chopped up.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
The issue with that, is the stock piping is too narrow for a boost setup. But I hear you, many people have had horror stories with eBay purchases.

The other issue with purchasing a high end exhaust, is that it's pretty common for the turbo downpipe flange to mismatch that of the exhaust. This means the end of the exhaust has to be cut to fit the flange of the downpipe. This was the case with my exhaust.. tuner had to put a tiny flex pipe on the downpipe and weld the other end to the exhaust. I'd hate to drop $500 on an exhaust that would have to be chopped up.
the stock 1 3/4 in exhaust way to thin he wouldn't be able to run any decent amount of boost, it would cause a lot of exhaust flow backing up in the turbine housing causing excessive rise in temperature eventually blowing the seals. turbos produce 2x-3x more of everything.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the stock 1 3/4 in exhaust way to thin he wouldn't be able to run any decent amount of boost, it would cause a lot of exhaust flow backing up in the turbine housing causing excessive rise in temperature eventually blowing the seals.
Yep, that's my point ;)

dancam

Registered VIP
Its not that much money, i dont think you can go wrong with that. Just try it and if you dont like it then try another muffler. If you think itl rust out buy some exhaust paint. If you think itl rust from the inside out just beat on your car hard till it burns oil then itl rustproof it for ya ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the stock 1 3/4 in exhaust way to thin he wouldn't be able to run any decent amount of boost, it would cause a lot of exhaust flow backing up in the turbine housing causing excessive rise in temperature eventually blowing the seals. turbos produce 2x-3x more of everything.
That shows my lack of retrievable knowledge about boost setups. Id still consider other options besides eBay, but in part due to my crazy luck.