Are d16z6's even worth building??

kill_the_tires

I have a d16z6 piss poor performance honestly gas mileage is ehh so my question is are they even worth building?

and if they are what are the best upgrades that wont kill my wallet

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
They're not worth building unless you've got deep pockets.

Cheap, fast, and reliable. You can only pick two.

If it's cheap and fast, it's not going to be reliable.

If it's fast and reliable, it's not going to be cheap.

If it's cheap and reliable, it's not going to be fast.

The d16z6 motor is cheap and reliable. It was never designed t go fast. Bolt ons like intake, header, exhaust, etc, will get you minimal gains at best. Not even noticeable.

Turbo would be the way to go, but obviously, doing it right would not be cheap.

There are far better platforms out there today. Check out k series motors for decent power without boost.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You are worried about your wallet so no, for someone like yourself, it isn't worth it. To get power out of a d-series it takes a lot of money. They were built specifically for gas mileage. You drive an economy car. Going to have to fully build it (lots of $$), boost it (also lots of $$ depending on your skills at research and aquiring the right stuff at the right deals), or dropping in a bigger motor that was better designed to build power (again lots of $$ depending on your skills).

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Wait.. so you rather spend $$$$ on swapping to a B which may have its own issues then just rebuilding the single jingle..

Rebuilding will be alot less then the swap and you will have a new engine. Theres plenty of z6 builds out there. Bump up the compression and youll get better mpg's.

You can DIY it as its not difficult. I built mine by myself and proud to drive on an engine i built with my own hands.

kill_the_tires

Wait.. so you rather spend $$$$ on swapping to a B which may have its own issues then just rebuilding the single jingle..

Rebuilding will be alot less then the swap and you will have a new engine. Theres plenty of z6 builds out there. Bump up the compression and youll get better mpg's.

You can DIY it as its not difficult. I built mine by myself and proud to drive on an engine i built with my own hands.
I work at a MOPAR dealership lol i can rebuild the engine with no issue, whats the turn around
on something liker that??

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Usually waiting for the machine shop for head rebuild.

The deglazing and bottom assembly should take a few hours

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
STOP now, that makes TOO much sense.

anv2tk

Respected
I have a d16z6 piss poor performance honestly gas mileage is ehh so my question is are they even worth building?

and if they are what are the best upgrades that wont kill my wallet
I am in the same stage as you are; I have a stock D16Z6 and am gathering info for a build. This is my 3rd D series engine (had the Y8 and a D15), while there are better platforms out there i.e. B, K, and H series, I like rooting for the underdog. The D will be cheaper to build, relatively, but you WILL have to spend some money in order for it to turn out right ... otherwise there is no point in dropping money into a D. I say stick with it as you already have a combo that people are currently hunting for (those folks trying to build a mini me or wanting to get their paws on a P28 ECU). It'll be fun man, check out www.dseries.org for more info on tuning and stuff like that. I promise you won't have half the headaches of a Chrysler engine lol :banana: (kidding, just had to throw that in there for kicks)

Let us know what you ultimately decide to do with your ride

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I am in the same stage as you are; I have a stock D16Z6 and am gathering info for a build. This is my 3rd D series engine (had the Y8 and a D15), while there are better platforms out there i.e. B, K, and H series, I like rooting for the underdog. The D will be cheaper to build, relatively, but you WILL have to spend some money in order for it to turn out right ... otherwise there is no point in dropping money into a D. I say stick with it as you already have a combo that people are currently hunting for (those folks trying to build a mini me or wanting to get their paws on a P28 ECU). It'll be fun man, check out www.dseries.org for more info on tuning and stuff like that. I promise you won't have half the headaches of a Chrysler engine lol :banana: (kidding, just had to throw that in there for kicks)

Let us know what you ultimately decide to do with your ride
Just a heads up, this thread hasn't been responded to since last May. OP probably won't be back :what:

anv2tk

Respected
Just a heads up, this thread hasn't been responded to since last May. OP probably won't be back :what:
damn lol I have to start minding the post dates. this is my first forum that I am actively participating in so .... well thanks!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn lol I have to start minding the post dates. this is my first forum that I am actively participating in so .... well thanks!
Haha, it's all good! :thumbs up

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
if its worth building is entirely up to you and how you see it my close friend has a fully built turbo d16z6 in his 4dr