Bolt on b20b advice

Tig.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's up everyone. Haven't posted on here in a while. So I've got some cash saved up and I want to get some power out of my stock jdm b20b w/ b16 trans. Nothing crazy, just want to open up the motor a bit. Only mod I have is a yonaka 2.5" exhaust. I've got a new PLM toda style header with PLM test pipe on the way that I got a great deal on together on eBay. I might be swapping the test pipe for a high flow cat later. Now I've also got a PW:jdm power chamber on the way with velocity stack. My question is, where should I go next? B20vtec is out of the question for now. Would a skunk2 or performer X manifold be worth it? Or would my money be better spent on cams and a tune? This is my first time building a motor, and I don't want to throw my money away. This is my daily driver so the block will most likely stay stock for now. Thanks for any advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
What's up everyone. Haven't posted on here in a while. So I've got some cash saved up and I want to get some power out of my stock jdm b20b w/ b16 trans. Nothing crazy, just want to open up the motor a bit. Only mod I have is a yonaka 2.5" exhaust. I've got a new PLM toda style header with PLM test pipe on the way that I got a great deal on together on eBay. I might be swapping the test pipe for a high flow cat later. Now I've also got a PW:jdm power chamber on the way with velocity stack. My question is, where should I go next? B20vtec is out of the question for now. Would a skunk2 or performer X manifold be worth it? Or would my money be better spent on cams and a tune? This is my first time building a motor, and I don't want to throw my money away. This is my daily driver so the block will most likely stay stock for now. Thanks for any advice

build the head but you'll get the full potential of the upgraded intake manifold if your running boost, built head, or high compression typically 12:1 and up. you'll still make more power regardless but you won't get crazy crazy results like you might be expecting. but for more of a money well spent, would be better if you build your head and just port and polish the stock intake manifold. the low compression of the b20 and a completely bone stock head won't be able to utilize those intake manifold as well as some people say. for N/A build you gotta pay good attention to air velocity along with proper air volume one of the most important key points to a good N/A builds

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
A solid VTEC head is not that expensive, you'll have better MPG and driveability and it will be cheaper than paying to have a head+ intake worked over plus the price of new cams plus a new tune.

bairdandrew77

I would say you should save up for a vtec conversion. Other than that, full basic bolt ons. Also a cam upgrade, but I'd personally save any internal mods for a b16 head

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Tig.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The thing is making a b20vtec reliable enough for daily abuse, and I drive 100 miles a day or more, most of it highway miles where the engine is at 4k rpm. I'm back and forth on the idea since it's my daily. The last thing I need is for another engine to blow on me. Ive done a ton of research on b20vtecs and seen how easy it is to make power with them. I know I'll feel guilty if I don't go through with it, so I'll look around for some deals and maybe I can piece one together.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
either b20vtec, or don't bother wasting your money on this engine for now.

Tig.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
either b20vtec, or don't bother wasting your money on this engine for now.
That's what I thought most would say. I guess the motor will stay stock for now! Talked to a friend with a b20v itb hatch, and he says he's got everything I need for a conversion

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
keep it at stock redline instead of moving it to higher redline if your using stock b20/ls oil pump and you should be good. you can switch to gsr, type r oil pump if want sustained high rpm reliability.

Tig.

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What's the point of throwing on a vtec head to rev it to 6800? No I wouldn't be revving it to 9k, but I would like to be able to utilize the head and atleast hit 8k without worry.

I've read that thread before, and probably most other threads about b20v. If I'm putting one together for my daily I'm no doubt getting rod bolts and head studs. Might as well get the stock rods shot peened while I'm at it. Will that alone let me rev to 8200 without worry? Keep in mine I got this motor from hmotorsonline and have put maybe 15k on it. Oh, and a vtec oil pump for sure.

Last edited:

hatchspeed

I'm also kind of curious as to how much work needs to be done in the bottom to make them hold together at high rpms. Nothing like putting a mint head on and crushing it with pistons that want to touch the stratosphere lol. Are rod bolts enough with head studs?