B18 swap into 6th gen 00' ex

Pbridge1

I have never done a swap before and I'm not to sure how to exactly do it. As in if there is anything slick I should know or watch out for. Putting a B18 with a GSR tranny in. Wondering if anyone can refer me to a video or site or anything just basic knowledge on it. Thanks.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Google would help you plenty. I searched "Civic EK B18 swap" and immediately saw 2 seemingly helpful links on Honda-Tech.com.

Being honest with yourself, whats your automotive skill level and experience?

Pbridge1

Google would help you plenty. I searched "Civic EK B18 swap" and immediately saw 2 seemingly helpful links on Honda-Tech.com.

Being honest with yourself, whats your automotive skill level and experience?
Basic mechanic really. I'm not advanced at it yet but I would like to be but I have an ex not an ek. Dont know how much of a difference they are between each other.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You definitely have alot to learn about your Civic, such as "EK" being a reference to 6th generation Civic. There is no EK trim line by Honda. Consider starting your research there

Pbridge1

Hmmm, will do thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hold on... You already bought an engine you dont know & tranny from someone without knowing anything of what the swap would encompass for a car you know nothing about?!? Thats a recipe for disaster. This is a mechanical machine, not playing with legos. Were you seriously planning to just figure this all out later? What information did you get from the seller?

Have you bothered to start researching anything yet? The fact that you still dont know which B18 you have tells me you havent, which puts you a lonnng way away from even starting this project.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Couldn't have said it better myself.

We are not trying to discourage you from your project, rather trying to inform, educate you on the most important step of any project. That is to research what you are planning to do. Without that information you will end up spending way more money than you ever imagined which can lead to some people giving up all together and reselling their project to someone else for a huge loss.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I definitely dont mean to be discouraging, but the fact is that the information you've shared indicates you are not following the path of least resistance. Its time to start researching heavily about the equipment you have, the vehicle, the build process, and what other equipment you'll need that you dont yet have. Its all available either on this site or in other channels online.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Are there any updates on what you've chosen to do at this point?

Pbridge1

No not even guys I haven't even bought the engine or transmission yet lol I don't have the money yet exactly, and that's why I posted on here first. Engine is not in my possession. I still have to learn about the engine itself before I can swap it. I still have to get all the information on it all I have on it is that it's either a B16 or B18 that's it haven't even gone into much detail with the seller yet. I have actually been trying to get ahold of him but I haven't been able to the past couple of days.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
No not even guys I haven't even bought the engine or transmission yet lol I don't have the money yet exactly, and that's why I posted on here first. Engine is not in my possession. I still have to learn about the engine itself before I can swap it. I still have to get all the information on it all I have on it is that it's either a B16 or B18 that's it haven't even gone into much detail with the seller yet. I have actually been trying to get ahold of him but I haven't been able to the past couple of days.

just remember theres 3 different b18, b18b is non vtec b18c GSR(black top) and b18c type r(red top)

Pbridge1

Alright cool thank you I believe it's the regular vtec b18 but like I said I'm not sure. I don't want a non vtec lol

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Alright cool thank you I believe it's the regular vtec b18 but like I said I'm not sure. I don't want a non vtec lol

if its just "regular" vtec b18 its deff a GSR which you should try and get instead of b16, made more power then b16 in stock form plus its 1.8l bigger displacement b16 made about 167 hp b18c GSR made 180hp

Pbridge1

So it is actually the b18b and the guy says I need OBD cables what's the price range on those?