D16Y5 Engine Replacement??

J Hunner

Looking for a more than reliable D16Y5 engine replacement. What suggestions for engine replacement and for company? I am more interested in the mpg, ~40mpg with the D16Y5 than any other aspect. A complete remanufactured engine is preferable, are there any suggestions? (many thanks)

fangus44

Wow I wish I could get that mpg with my car d15b non vtech

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where do you live and what do you drive?

You can find rebuilt D16Y5 engines online but it'll cost you quite a bit as its not one of the preferred sporty engines that many want. I personally dont know of any specific rebuilder recomendations , so all I can suggest is to hunt down a low mileage JDM engine and save money.

Its best to get a more reliable and more responsive manual tranny over the CVT thats more sluggish in response & much more costly to repair. Flush the manual tranny every 40,000 miles or so and use AC Delco Synchromesh Friction Modifier fluid and it'll last you a lifetime. These are my suggestions based purely on increasing likelyhood of longevity.

If you choose a CVT tranny instead, find the best fluid there is for CVT trannys & flush it every other year. Those trannys are very expensive and hard to find and known for being problematic, from what I recall.