Rpms and speed decreasing when in 5th gear

Dirttypretty

Just got my civic running (it's a 1993 ex coupe with a 96 engine) and it accelerates when I'm releasing the gas pedal and once I hit 5th I don't feel any pressure on the pedal and the rpms and speed start to decrease. Wondering what might be wrong this time. Lol I can have the pedal all the way down and it'll be decreasing anyways. Unless I feel a little pressure then it'll be steady. Any ideas?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Just got my civic running (it's a 1993 ex coupe with a 96 engine) and it accelerates when I'm releasing the gas pedal and once I hit 5th I don't feel any pressure on the pedal and the rpms and speed start to decrease. Wondering what might be wrong this time. Lol I can have the pedal all the way down and it'll be decreasing anyways. Unless I feel a little pressure then it'll be steady. Any ideas?
you can try tighten the throttle cable a bit, and you can spray some carb cleaner in the throttle plate to make sure the throttle plate open and closes smoothly without any bindings

Dirttypretty

you can try tighten the throttle cable a bit, and you can spray some carb cleaner in the throttle plate to make sure the throttle plate open and closes smoothly without any bindings
How could I go about tightening the throttle cable? Will do. Just bought some carb cleaner the other day also.

Dirttypretty

you need 2 wrenches and its by the bracket that holds the cable. which is close by the throttle.
Ok and I just tighten that or?? I'm at dinner right now but I'll look at it once I get home. I hope that's what it is. I had also found an O2 sensor that was cut off. Bought a new one and hoping to put it in tomorrow morning.

dancam

Registered VIP
Ok, you said it accelerates when you release the gas pedal but in 5th gear it slows down no matter how hard you push the gas pedal. Is that correct? Its only 5th gear it does this in and the other gears it accelerates on its own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirttypretty

Ok, you said it accelerates when you release the gas pedal but in 5th gear it slows down no matter how hard you push the gas pedal. Is that correct? Its only 5th gear it does this in and the other gears it accelerates on its own?

Yes that's correct. It can accelerate in the other gears if i push down but it's faster while I'm releasing or leaving the pedal steady. But in 5th it's decreasing.

dancam

Registered VIP
Take your distributor out and see if it looks like this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455412375.112624.jpg

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Take your distributor out and see if it looks like this View attachment 27318

i doubt its anything electrical the. the engine only accelerates when the throttle plate is open also its going to feel like its decelerating because engine speed is a bit low and can't maintain proper vehicle speed.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I looke
I looked at it and it doesn't seem to have a whole lot of slack or anything. Hmm
If it's really tight it might be a bit too tight and secondly check your throttle plate make sure it closes all the way. There is also a adjustment screw on the throttle body it self. Normal stock idle should be around 850-900 rpm when warm

Dirttypretty

If it's really tight it might be a bit too tight and secondly check your throttle plate make sure it closes all the way. There is also a adjustment screw on the throttle body it self. Normal stock idle should be around 850-900 rpm when warm
I can push up and down a bit on it. And when it's warm it's idling at about 900. But I have to let it warm up if not it'll just turn off. After its warm though it idles fine. And it'll take a while for the rpms to kick in 1st.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I can push up and down a bit on it. And when it's warm it's idling at about 900. But I have to let it warm up if not it'll just turn off. After its warm though it idles fine. And it'll take a while for the rpms to kick in 1st.
which part?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
On the throttle cable closest to the part you press down for the plate to open. If that makes any sense. Lol
ok yea, usually it susppose to have about 1/8-1/4" of cable movements. idk how much you can move yours up and down. it could also be a possibility that your throttle cable might be a bit old and stretched. check for vacuum leak at or around the throttle body. if all seems fine then you can move on to checking your tps readings when you have it fully opened and closed and etc.

Dirttypretty

ok yea, usually it susppose to have about 1/8-1/4" of cable movements. idk how much you can move yours up and down. it could also be a possibility that your throttle cable might be a bit old and stretched. check for vacuum leak at or around the throttle body. if all seems fine then you can move on to checking your tps readings when you have it fully opened and closed and etc.
Ok thank you,I'll get right on that and let you know what I stumble upon. I appreciate it.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Am I missing something here? If the throttle cable were loose, this would happen in every gear, not just 5th.