'96 Civic CEL codes: what to do?

mrpepsalgado

Is it possible to be a fuel injector ? I once had this happen to my wife's Honda Pilot. We kept getting misfire on different coils, egr valve and it turned out to be an injector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The car has Plugs, cables and cap and rotor that were replaced less than a year ago - it's always had a light on since I bought it , the guy I bought it from said it was an 02 sensor yet the scanner at autozone didn't detect it .

So it's always had an 02 sensor issue that was neglected. So as I stated its possible this neglect has caused your cat to foul up.

If the code has been there why not put in a new 02 sensor and take it from there?

mrpepsalgado

So it's always had an 02 sensor issue that was neglected. So as I stated its possible this neglect has caused your cat to foul up.

If the code has been there why not put in a new 02 sensor and take it from there?
The main reason is because the codes don't show sensor , so there's that doubt and also , the car just started to misfire .

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You didn't mention it was misfiring, or maybe I didn't see it in your posts. All I gathered was you had it scanned and it showed those codes.

If it's misfiring check all ignition components. Distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs and inspect your fuel injectors. Simple basic stuff first before going more advanced like head gasket, compression etc

Do you get a misfire for a specific cylinder? That'd be the place to investigate first

Restotech

Respected
P0420 is a cat code. This is either the cat or secondary o2 sensor. (Downstream). P0301 is a misfire cylinder 1. Closest to the timing belt. If you are not familiar with what can cause a misfire then it might be best to have a shop diagnose it for you. There can be a number of things that cause a misfire.

Reactions: HeX

mrpepsalgado

You didn't mention it was misfiring, or maybe I didn't see it in your posts. All I gathered was you had it scanned and it showed those codes.

If it's misfiring check all ignition components. Distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs and inspect your fuel injectors. Simple basic stuff first before going more advanced like head gasket, compression etc

Do you get a misfire for a specific cylinder? That'd be the place to investigate first
Yes it just started misfiring but the engine lights been on for a long time - the cap, cables and plugs are all new and this is why I am
Leaning towards injector , the scan reads coil 1. It will bean expensive experiment if I change it and it is not the problem. Which is downstream and which is up? Can someone specify the locations ?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Which is downstream and which is up? Can someone specify the locations ?
It was already specified....

Upstream would be pre-cat
Downstream would be post-cat
How many miles is on this car?
Have you considered having the valves adjusted?
Has it ever been done?
Valve adjustments, to get them back into spec, can cure a misfire.

Last edited:

mrpepsalgado

It was already specified....

How many miles is on this car?
Have you considered having the valves adjusted?
Has it ever been done?
Valve adjustments, to get them back into spec, can cure a misfire.
182k and I'm not sure if they've ever been changed

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes it just started misfiring but the engine lights been on for a long time - the cap, cables and plugs are all new and this is why I am
Leaning towards injector , the scan reads coil 1. It will bean expensive experiment if I change it and it is not the problem. Which is downstream and which is up? Can someone specify the locations ?

Doesn't matter how new parts are. Check them. Quick test to rule out plug wires is to simply swap the #1 wire with another and see if the misfire moves to that other cylinder. Then investigate the injector.

Quick test for that is to unplug then reseat. Friend's 99 civic had a misfire that doing so cured his issue.

mrpepsalgado

Doesn't matter how new parts are. Check them. Quick test to rule out plug wires is to simply swap the #1 wire with another and see if the misfire moves to that other cylinder. Then investigate the injector.

Quick test for that is to unplug then reseat. Friend's 99 civic had a misfire that doing so cured his issue.
Excellent tips, I've also heard to move injector and tiger scanned to see if misfire moves as well. I'm going to attempt this , thanks .

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
182k and I'm not sure if they've ever been changed
With that many miles and it being unknown, you may want to look into having that done.
It's a good chance it can cure the misfire, especially if everything else checks out as good, such as the plugs, wires, injectors, etc.

rbealer

Anyway idk about the 6th gen but I know on the 4th gens if the valve cover gasket is bad then oil leaks into the spark plug well. Fouling out the plug and causing a misfire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Anyway idk about the 6th gen but I know on the 4th gens if the valve cover gasket is bad then oil leaks into the spark plug well. Fouling out the plug and causing a misfire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
its usually like that regardless of the generation the oil makes it harder for the plugs to receive the spark. electricity don't work so well in oil