Tail light problem! '08 Civic Si

ActualCro

Hey guys my wife's 08 civic si tail light is acting weird. I replaced fuse number #19 % #15 thinking it was the problem. It was not. So we thought it could be the tail light bulb itself. It was not. So we're pretty lost as of right now. I'll have some pictures of it attached. When the brake is engaged the light works. Reverse light works. Turn signal works. The problem is the tail light doesn't when just turned on.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If its a dual filsment bulb, meaning it has a double function, then its likely that one of the two filaments burned out. Inspect the bulb.

ActualCro

Well which one would it be? I've replaced that bulb. I'm so lost.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You didnt mention that. Are you sure you used the correct bulb? Try swapping in the bulb from the other side. If it still does that then yiu know its a relay or wiring issue.

ActualCro

Sorry, I thought I did. And I'll be sure to do that. If it is a wiring issue what would you suggest I do?

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Sorry, I thought I did. And I'll be sure to do that. If it is a wiring issue what would you suggest I do?

I'd suggest a wiring issue is the last thing to diagnose. First try different light bulbs, and make sure your 3rd break light also works. Sometimes that can trigger weird things happening to your car.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not sure if your model has one (I ASSume it does...) brake light switch under the brake pedal that will get pushed when you step on it. Make sure that isn't broken.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not sure if your model has one (I ASSume it does...) brake light switch under the brake pedal that will get pushed when you step on it. Make sure that isn't broken.
But the light is working when the pedal is depressed, so the light is functioning then.

Last edited:

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
But the light is working when the pedal is depressed, so the light in functioning then.
Oops my bad, you're completely right. I had it backwards. :x

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This may sound stupid, but are you sure the bulb is good and it's the correct bulb?

itzrivera

swap the bulb from the good tail light into the bad one. This should give you an idea of whether the bulb is bad/wrong or whether its a wiring issue.