5 speed pops out of 2nd gear

iamcombat

What are a few things I can check to fix this problem? I don't know a TON about manual transmissions but I figured at the very latest it wouldn't cost too much to fix.

It doesn't happen EVERY time you are in 2nd gear but most times when you are in 2nd and there is resistance on the transmission from regular driving it will pop out of gear. I can shift to 2nd and hold it in gear but if I can fix it pretty easily I would rather do that.

I read somewhere online about gear weights(??) that keep a manual transmission in gear but I think that was a different model car.

Any help is appreciated.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Sounds like your 2nd gear synchros are going bad. You'll most likely need to rebuild it.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If its getting in the 150,000/175,000 mile range its most likely the brass synchro rings are showing their wear. Those rings are what allows the syncro hub to match speed with the gear assembly. They also assist in locking the syncro hub into place once its successfully engaged in the current gear. If the inside ribbed section of the syncro ring is becoming worn (smooth) it will cause grinding. However if the outer teeth was becoming worn then it wont "lock" the hub in place completely or can become disengaged easier when the car is under significant load.

The only repair to this is to replace the worn components.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Ditto. Could also be a bent shift fork. It is definitely internal.
This is a VERY HIGHLY unlikely scenario. The shift rods between the shifter and transmission would become damaged well before this happens.

If this were even a problem it would be due to low transmission fluid promoting high internal temperatures or the welds on the shift fork rod assembly would fail generally WAY before they would bend. Those forks are made of steel and they are solid.

Restotech

Respected
This is a VERY HIGHLY unlikely scenario. The shift rods between the shifter and transmission would become damaged well before this happens.

If this were even a problem it would be due to low transmission fluid promoting high internal temperatures or the welds on the shift fork rod assembly would fail generally WAY before they would bend. Those forks are made of steel and they are solid.
I have seen it. Most likely from someone trying to slam gears I could only assume.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I have seen it. Most likely from someone trying to slam gears I could only assume.
Something else internally is at fault for that then, not jamming gears. Most likely from someone reassembling the case improperly after a rebuild. But if it wasn't from a rebuild, then it was most likely foreign debris.

iamcombat

Car has just over 168,000 miles on it now. I thought maybe it could simply be a worn out clutch, I could only wish, but I haven't looked at it just yet...maybe next week or maybe I will just wait til it is warm outside to fix it. If the gear syncros need replaced I may as well get a junk yard transmission and replace the whole thing because those syncros are NOT cheap to fix bought new.

Restotech

Respected
Something else internally is at fault for that then, not jamming gears. Most likely from someone reassembling the case improperly after a rebuild. But if it wasn't from a rebuild, then it was most likely foreign debris.
My buddy brought me that trans long ago. Not sure what caused it. Of course this is the same guy that broke his shifter off in the trans on his conquest, slamming 2nd.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
if it grinds going into second gear then its most likely syncros. but if it doesn't grind i think your shifter rod might be bent. i once had a occasion 5th gear pop out on the highway. it never grinded going in but would just pop out. i changed my shift cables for new ones and my pop out stopped.

iamcombat

if it grinds going into second gear then its most likely syncros. but if it doesn't grind i think your shifter rod might be bent. i once had a occasion 5th gear pop out on the highway. it never grinded going in but would just pop out. i changed my shift cables for new ones and my pop out stopped.
I was just going to come back today and post about how it was grinding going into 2nd gear. Glad that sums up the problem. Now my question is....do I need an entire tranny rebuild kit to fix that? Or can I buy individual syncros? Also...how difficult is the job? I'd say my skill level as a mechanic would be more advanced than a beginner but not so sure I could call myself a backyard mechanic

dancam

Registered VIP
Do you plan to keep the car? Taking the transmission out is a fair bit of work and a bunch of down time. Once you have the transmission apart to replace one syncro it isnt much more work to do the rest. If it was my car i would replace all syncros, bearings and seals (full rebuild) also the clutch unless its new and new transmission fluid. Then you have got yourself a new transmission =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I was just going to come back today and post about how it was grinding going into 2nd gear. Glad that sums up the problem. Now my question is....do I need an entire tranny rebuild kit to fix that? Or can I buy individual syncros? Also...how difficult is the job? I'd say my skill level as a mechanic would be more advanced than a beginner but not so sure I could call myself a backyard mechanic
you can tackle the job if your confident enough to do it but like dancam said just taking the transmission down is fair amount of work, its easy work but lots of unbolting. putting it all back together is the hardest part

dancam

Registered VIP
Yup, taking the transmission out is easy, it just takes time and you need to be careful and take your time. I havent rebuilt a transmission but i believe it would be the same, easy but takes time and you have to be careful. Most important thing before doing either is to know what your doing before you do it. Get a manual, or look at at least 3 online step by step tutorials. One can seem good but they can miss an important step or 2 so always look up more than one and print one off. And make sure you have all the parts and tools you need before you start.
If you have all your tools, all your parts and have good instructions replacing any mechanical part is easy. Except for burnt out glow plugs in a diesel =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What are a few things I can check to fix this problem? I don't know a TON about manual transmissions but I figured at the very latest it wouldn't cost too much to fix.
Join d-series.org and contact transzex, the d series transmission Guru!
Very knowledgeable, been around a long time, lots of hands on first hand knowledge, and knows these transmission inside and out!

iamcombat

Been messing around a bit while driving the past couple days. I can get it into 2nd gear at a low RPM and lower speed but sometimes just hitting a bump or pothole will knock it out of gear...other times when letting off the gas pedal it will knock it out...but it seems like if I can get it into gear and don't go too heavy on acceleration I can keep it in the gear for a good amount of time.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Been messing around a bit while driving the past couple days. I can get it into 2nd gear at a low RPM and lower speed but sometimes just hitting a bump or pothole will knock it out of gear...other times when letting off the gas pedal it will knock it out...but it seems like if I can get it into gear and don't go too heavy on acceleration I can keep it in the gear for a good amount of time.
i think you should try another shift linkage, not really expensive to get another one that is good

iamcombat

i think you should try another shift linkage, not really expensive to get another one that is good
Do you think a worn tranny mount could cause it to kick out of just a single gear? I don't think it would but it feels like I have a worn one or more...I haven't had a lot of time to look it over up and down but Monday I am free and I'll check out all that stuff

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Do you think a worn tranny mount could cause it to kick out of just a single gear? I don't think it would but it feels like I have a worn one or more...I haven't had a lot of time to look it over up and down but Monday I am free and I'll check out all that stuff
it is one possibility if it has extreme excess play and it causing the motor to move about to much in the engine bay

iamcombat

What rpm should i be at when skipping over 2nd? Ive tried all between 2k-2500 and it bogs a little before picking up speed again

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk