Carbureted '95 Civic Fuel Problem

Chancelor

I have a right hand drive 1995 Honda civic LX(stick shift)(carburetor not fuel injected) 4 door. When you cut on the car as long as you keep it accelerated it stays on but once you take your foot off of the gas for a while it sputters and cuts off. So you can drive it, but when you stop or have to idle you must put it in neutral and keep gasing it up or it will cut off(stall, flood etc).
You can see the gas coming out of the valve when you aren't taking gas and the car begins to sputter(basically floods out). The valve is located under the air filter i think that is in the picture.

Anyways i was told it was my fuel pump, changed it no difference. Was told it was the needle seat/plunger valve on the carburetor changed them out nothing changed.
Also it was mention to me that on the line to the pump is supposed to be a pressure control valve that i can set to let less psi come through but i seem not to have one or are they bsing?
Any ideas???

Just joined by the way guys.

Attachments

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont know anything about carburetors to really give advice on this. On a fuel injected car it would likely be an issue at the idle or a related sensor, so I suggest to look into adjusting whatever affects idling at the carburetor. Google "carburetor idling issues".

I tweaked your title to encourage replies from those with carburetor experience.

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
Wow that is amazing! Pull off your air cleaner so I can see the carb.
You sir probably have a large vacuum leak.
I have owned several carb'd trucks (That's where the '76 comes from in my name, 1976)
Check the hoses on the carb and make sure they are all plugged off and not cracked missing or split.
Also check your fuel/air idle mixture screw. I assume it's a 2 barrel carb?

Chancelor

I have owned several carb'd trucks (That's where the '76 comes from in my name, 1976)
Check the hoses on the carb and make sure they are all plugged off and not cracked missing or split.
It's a single, i'll take a picture first thing in the morning currently at work. I'll have to give the hoses a check i didn't even think of that.

Chancelor

Here it is sorry for being late. By large vaccum leak can you expand on what you mean? As in the line from the carb may have a puncture or something of the sort?

Attachments

Anthony_76

5+ Year Member
You have several hoses on that carb, some may be leaking... as in they could be split or cracked. Here's a picture of my Edelbrock 650 CFM 1406 from my high compression built big block Ford as an example.
IMG_20110309_182112.jpg

See how I have several of them capped off? Before I had them capped my truck had a vacuum leak and it wasn't running properly...
You need to check your hoses and make sure they aren't cracked or split.
If you check all your hoses and they are fine I would suggest checking your fuel filter, it may be clogged and could be causing the issues you are describing.

Otto85

If its flooding either the float is stuck or the seal is no good on it so it's not floating anymore or the float pin is corroded. Those are the 2 carb components that keep the fuel levels correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: