Fuel pump wont prime!

b20turbo420

Im gonna start from the beginning here, i have a 97 dx with a b20b4. put work into it, 550 injectors arp head studs precision wastegate hks bov small turbo but does the job, also a walbro 255.

i ran the car after i got it done, i had a basemap for my injectors and turbo, went out building 18lbs and basically did some damage to my head, had my head sent out, redone perfect good as new. come back and do it all over again, this time i added wideband and a few other gauges, basically, the pump randomly started messin up, i went to prime it and it made a deep gurgling noise. did that a few more times troubleshooting, car is running lean at times, and worrying its my pump restricting it. i take the fuel hose off the fuel rail and the pump rips, primes as it should, put it back on and it primes for a sec and then stops and starts gurgling. basically pressurizing, and not letting any more fuel pass.

so what i did was got an AEM fuel rail, instead of a stock one. didnt fix my problem. when i take my hose off my return line and run the car, hardly any fuel comes out. also on the fuel hose side on the rail, the big nut that tightens the line onto the rail seems off, the screw was out of it so i screwed it back in, idk if that has anything to do with it though. runs decent but will randomly lean out real bad and i gotta shut it off.

any help would be greatly appreciated.. also i havent drove the car yet with the new head, only had it idling, because of it running lean. maybe i hooked something up wrong? idk ive done this plenty of times and dont see anything noticeably wrong. civ.jpg

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've seen this happen to friends before, with similar circumstances. Check your fuel filter. Replace that fuel line with a devsport kit (or something). Make sure your grounds are all really solid.

Edit: Nice build, btw =) Looking good!

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Well you found out the hard way you shouldn't be boosting on a basemap let alone 18 psi, tsk tsk.... where did you get the walboro it could be a fake and not working good enough? Fuel filter clean? Which sock did you use for the walboro? most say to use oem sock on the aftermarket pump or you will have pickup issues. Might not be your problem but what does your main relay look like, maybe it's having intermittent connection issues because of bad solder joints.

Also where did you get the basemap, xenocron, pherable, random person you don't know? Maybe the map isn't very good and has lean spots (it's fine to run lean in vacuum but if you run lean under boost you will pop a head gasket and most likely get detonation).

b20turbo420

Thanks for the compliment, i was worried it was my pump but it primes full blast with the hose disconnected.. all the grounds are good i used the stock sock, also it is a genuine walbro. the basemap was unfortunately from someone i didnt know, but it idled better before i messed up the head.

also the fuel pump didnt made that noise like it was struggling to push fuel.. thats my main concern because the person whose tuning my car only tunes them, i dont wanna drive three hours and have a something wrong with the car. my first thought was the relay, i have yet to pull it just because of the prime with the hose disconnected.

thank you guys for the reply! ill keep updated, also ill put a video of what it exactly sounds like.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What tuning system are you useing? Standard chipped ecu or moates ostrich/hulog combo, moates demon and neptune, or hondata? I would order a basemap from xenocron to start with, if you have a chip then they will mail you a rom chip with a basemap on it,if using real time tuning setup then they will email you a file that you upload to the ecu.

BlackBetty

What did you do with your d16y8 intake and head ? I want it plzzzzz

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk