98 civic lx starter solenoid isn't getting any power, plz help

BlackBetty

I've changed the starter and made sure that there isn't to much resistance in the cords or a short giving power to the starter itselft. The only thing I can possibly think of it being is the fuse/relay or the clutch ignition switch(I believe that's what it's called.) I just got my ej6 2 weeks ago and have been doing all the maintenance myself with a haynes manual. Just became a car guy =) any and all advice is appreciated. As well as any info on a d16y8 mini me swap kit and where I should get the parts is also appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
OK, so back it up a little. What exactly are the symptoms here? Was there a problem to begin with?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Check and double check your battery connections, starter relay, starter ground, and temporarily bypass the neutral safety switch.

BlackBetty

Done done done and I'm heading to advanced auto parts to do that now actually, 16 gauge wire will work right?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Yeah it ought to. Do you get anything when you turn the key? Radio? Door chime? Etc.

BlackBetty

Yeah I have all my normal lights and everything. Just no crank when I turn the key. Not even a click

BlackBetty

I've Jumped the clutch safety switch with a 16 gauge wire and it still isn't turning over. I'm thinking of just installing a push button and calling it a day lol. The starter is getting power just not the solenoid. I've tried 2 working relays in my car in place of my current on and nothing. So I'm thinking maybe a short from the clutch safety switch to the solenoid itself?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
If the starter is getting power then a push button won't resolve the issue. You'll still have the same symptoms. Try jump starting the car or getting a new battery.

BlackBetty

It's probably the ground coming from the clutch safety switch. If not that then it's my hot wire from my switch to the solenoid itself, everything else Is working. My battery is fine I use it to jump my solenoid. And a push button would fix it, I'd re wire it to the battery and starter solenoid. And just disconnect the old wires.

BlackBetty

I am. Even if it does work I Wanna bypass the safety and put a button in. I plan on getting a much better clucth. Heard it's not healthy for the springs pushing it in when it's cold.

Tammera

I've Jumped the clutch safety switch with a 16 gauge wire and it still isn't turning over. I'm thinking of just installing a push button and calling it a day lol. The starter is getting power just not the solenoid. I've tried 2 working relays in my car in place of my current on and nothing. So I'm thinking maybe a short from the clutch safety switch to the solenoid itself?

ROFL.. i have one of those!! (a push button and a long blue cord going to the appropriate places!)