New Member & First Civic

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Sup guys, I am new to forum and this is my first civic as well (99 4dr ex). So far I have lowered it, tinted it, replaced the muffler (the fake OEM muffler fell off due to rust), replaced both front seats with Integra seats, and some other stuff as well. This car is just for daily and getting good gas mileage so I don't want to hot rod it too much. My head gasket is leaking so I am still deciding if I want to fix it or swap the motor for a B18b or B20b.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
If you plan to replace the motor go the cheap route and dump some sealer in it. Just be mindful that it can clog up passages in the heater core as well. It is short term fix until you get the swap. However I highly recommend using the $60 Blue Devil solution that is heat activated and you dont have to worry about clogging up radiators and heater cores.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You definitely should not be driving that car another inch if it has a blown head gasket. I agree with @Spooled@ that if you chose the route of swapping the engine then use Blue Devil to keep your car driveable for the meantime.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
The weird thing is it only overheats when it gets to highway speed but then I turn on the heater (which helps a little). I know exhaust gas is leaking into the coolant because I did a block test. I need to do a cylinder leak down test to figure out exactly where the leak is but I don't have a leak down tester. In all honesty I don't really care for this motor at all. I thought about using blue devil or something but I would bypass the heater core first if I were to do that. If I do the swap though I want to keep my A/C, P/S, and cruise control so I need to figure out how much and what will be the cheaper route.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
If you plan to replace the motor go the cheap route and dump some sealer in it. Just be mindful that it can clog up passages in the heater core as well. It is short term fix until you get the swap. However I highly recommend using the $60 Blue Devil solution that is heat activated and you dont have to worry about clogging up radiators and heater cores.
Did you remove the thermostat when you ran blue devil through the cooling system?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Did you remove the thermostat when you ran blue devil through the cooling system?
I personally have not used it I just know that the stuff works as I have seen it used after the fact. Just follow the directions on the bottle.

98Ekay

Respected
Hey man I'm new to the forum and also have my 1st honda . Your sedan looks neat I'm thinking of doing an engine swap too and from what I've been told if you use the b18 you can keep the A/C and power steering with out too much fuss. Keep us posted on how you go =)

jnewman0910

Respected
Hey just picked up my first civic not that long ago as well keep us posted on it man! And I do believe you can keep everything the same if you go b18 I'm thinking of the same thing as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk