Fender trim residue removal

OddandTwisted

So I took off the front two black rubber things in the fenders but there's still residue. How do I get it off? Regular car wash didn't do much. How should I go about taking the back ones off? I think my friend said something about buffing it out? Idk, help me out guys image.jpeg image.jpeg

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Try something like Goo Gone, it might help loosen it up. Don't use too much

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just as Xplod3r & Restotech suggested, use an adhesive remover that can be found at any hardware or auto parts store.

I also tweaked your title for clarity.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
You could use goo gone, it works. Also, if you have a lot of adhesive you can use a rubber wheel that attaches to a cordless drill (just be careful or you can remove paint).

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't buff it with an power tool until it's clean, that rubber collects sand/dirt/road salt and if you buff it it will be highly abrasive

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
How about some good old fashioned elbow grease?

:drinking:

Last edited by a moderator:

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
I wouldn't buff it with an power tool until it's clean, that rubber collects sand/dirt/road salt and if you buff it it will be highly abrasive
The rubber comes off the wheel while you're removing the adhesive from the vehicle. I am have been using it for 5 years on vehicles with no problems. Customer come in all this time after removing their emblems and have a hard time removing the adhesive.

How about some good old fashioned elbow grease?

Nothing is wrong with doing it the long way but when you're getting paid by flag hours then you do it the most efficient way.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nothing is wrong with doing it the long way but when you're getting paid by flag hours then you do it the most efficient way.
Considering OP is not being paid to clean his own POS let alone by flag hours, it doesn't apply. Not to mention that if OP has to ask how to get the goop off then flag hours would end up f**king the OP because it would take OP longer than the time required. So just pay OP flat rate.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Considering OP is not being paid to clean his own POS let alone by flag hours, it doesn't apply. Not to mention that if OP has to ask how to get the goop off then flag hours would end up f**king the OP because it would take OP longer than the time required. So just pay OP flat rate.
Lol, I'll admit that was a shitty example but my point is time is money and don't call the OP ride a POS that's not cool. Why waste your time when the tool cost about the same amount of money when buying chemical adhesive remover which is sometimes harsh on the paint. The rubber wheel is faster and is not harmful to the paint if you know how to use it correctly. A bottle of Goo Gone is like $20 and that was the same price I paid when I bought the rubber wheel from the tool truck, which the rubber wheel will last longer as wheel. Also, if the OP buys a rubber wheel and practice on his car then he can charge other people when then want to remove trim piece and emblems. If people are willing to pay the dealership $120 dollars so I can change their cabin filter in their SRX (which is super easy to change) then people are willing spend money on getting adhesive remove from the car.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Lol, I'll admit that was a shitty example but my point is time is money and don't call the OP ride a POS that's not cool. Why waste your time when the tool cost about the same amount of money when buying chemical adhesive remover which is sometimes harsh on the paint. The rubber wheel is faster and is not harmful to the paint if you know how to use it correctly. A bottle of Goo Gone is like $20 and that was the same price I paid when I bought the rubber wheel from the tool truck, which the rubber wheel will last longer as wheel. Also, if the OP buys a rubber wheel and practice on his car then he can charge other people when then want to remove trim piece and emblems. If people are willing to pay the dealership $120 dollars so I can change their cabin filter in their SRX (which is super easy to change) then people are willing spend money on getting adhesive remove from the car.
Im well aware of what people are willing to pay for maintenance on their vehicles. I got out of the automotive industry years ago. I never mentioned anything about buy any products, just using good 'ol fashioned elbow grease. You can get that s**t off with Joy/vinegar mix and microfiber towels. Stuff comes right off.

You can even take Gorilla or Duct tape and apply it over that crap and pull most of it off and then wash the rest off with soap/water and microfiber towels.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The rubber comes off the wheel while you're removing the adhesive from the vehicle. I am have been using it for 5 years on vehicles with no problems. Customer come in all this time after removing their emblems and have a hard time removing the adhesive.

Emblems don't usually collect lots of road grime, these rubber fender liners do, I'm sure there is grit stuck and could scratch the paint. I'm careful with the paint on my vehicles though if it's in good shape, op can do as he likes.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am amazed at how many replies this thread continues to receive when its such a simple task. At least no ones arguing and disrespecting another. Carry on.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Im well aware of what people are willing to pay for maintenance on their vehicles. I got out of the automotive industry years ago. I never mentioned anything about buy any products, just using good 'ol fashioned elbow grease. You can get that s**t off with Joy/vinegar mix and microfiber towels. Stuff comes right off.

You can even take Gorilla or Duct tape and apply it over that crap and pull most of it off and then wash the rest off with soap/water and microfiber towels.
I think his point is that time is valuable. Why work harder and take longer when you can spend $4 at the store for some Goo Gone and do it easily? Another example: would you rather cut down a large tree with a chain saw, or use some 'good 'ol fashioned elbow grease' and use a hand saw to do that same job? (I got that idea from a Chevy commercial or some s**t I saw last week. Good, right? :lol:)

For the record, when I had my windows tinted at some place, they thought it would be cool to slap a sticker on one of my windows. One of those non vinyl stickers that comes off in tiny pieces and takes forever to get off just using just your hands and a razor blade. I picked up some Goo Gone and that s**t was off in less than 30 seconds.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Another example: would you rather cut down a large tree with a chain saw, or use some 'good 'ol fashioned elbow grease' and use a hand saw to do that same job? (I got that idea from a Chevy commercial or some s**t I saw last week. Good, right? :lol:)
Since I have a massive cock and set of balls I like to use elbow grease when cutting down trees with my bare hands.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Since I have a massive cock and set of balls I like to use elbow grease when cutting down trees with my bare hands.
s**t. You win this thread. :lol: