1998 Hatch SRS light problem

Enzetsu

Hello everyone, I've been lurking for a bit trying to fix this problem before posting. It seems that its stumped me. I'm trying to read the SRS code but I cant find any info on how to do it. I've already read how to reset it but that isnt what i want.

I've read these posts:
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/111-electronics/319672-diy-srs-codes-reading-them.html
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707
But that isn't working nor is it for the 98 Hatch

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Enzetsu

Last edited:

MotorMo

Respected
Well you could take out the srs bulb- thats a resistor... haha I kid-
If your put the right resistor looping through the connector, you can trick the srs modal into thinking the airbag is still there. This how ever falls in a grey area of the law- as a mechanic, any "tampering" of the srs system can become a felony, I kid not.
The trick is finding out the right value of resistance of the air bag with out blowing one up... Honda makes a tool for this so that they can safety "test" air bags, so some one has to know-

Enzetsu

Well you could take out the srs bulb- thats a resistor... haha I kid-
If your put the right resistor looping through the connector, you can trick the srs modal into thinking the airbag is still there. This how ever falls in a grey area of the law- as a mechanic, any "tampering" of the srs system can become a felony, I kid not.
The trick is finding out the right value of resistance of the air bag with out blowing one up... Honda makes a tool for this so that they can safety "test" air bags, so some one has to know-
Well.. when you say it like that... guess ill just leave the light on till i get a airbag. not because of the law. I love this little thing id never sell it but because i dont need a airbag in my face anytime soon.

MotorMo

Respected
Haha for sure. May you never need that airbag :thumbup:. FYI, the airbags will not deploy if that srs light is on.
Plus 1 for Honda Lovin.

Enzetsu

I feel like I'm missing something. I've pulled the glovebox and plastic tray and I don't see a yellow harness anywhere for this passenger airbag to connect to. I don't see any cut wires either. Am I missing something, are we sure the Canadian 98 CX came with a passenger airbag?

MotorMo

Respected
My USDM 97 DX hatch, the connector was on the right side oh the radio/HAVC control center, behing the dash, near the lower half of the cup holder. Bright yellow wire loom and connector that sits in a blue "connector retainer" that was secured to one of the dash support brackets.

Enzetsu

So I've pulled out a good chunk of my car today searching for this stupid wire... unless once again I'm blind I see nothing.
Heres a video of what I saw

MotorMo

Respected
Your missing the entire SRS ECU that normally is bolted to the floor under the radio and climate control area. Your wiring is missing as well.
I'm guessing your counting the blinks on the SRS light ?... Or the check engine light? With out the wiring, nothing would be bolted to the back of your cluster to even turn on a bulb. I dont think non SRS gauge clusters throw a light if they receive no input...
I wonder if non SRS models were offered in Canada?- ....

Enzetsu

I counted the blinking SRS light, 2-1
I do have a yellow wire to the cluster and I do have yellow wires to the fuse box this I know 100% for sure
I thought the SRS ECU was under the plastic box which is why I never poked at it

Edit: The wire that I poke at on the video, I think I leads to the ECU because it goes under the carpet and forward.... I believe.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
On page 1743 on the adobe part of the service manual shows one main harness coming out of the SRS unit. Then it splits with one goes left to the driver side and the other goes right to the passenger side. It would be easier to trace the harness from the SRS unit (the main computer) and go from there. Also, I have read that some Canadian models don't have passenger so there is a dummy resistor where the airbag is suppose to connect to (see page 1744 for the pic and 1746 for wiring diagram). If it has the dummy resistor then it is close to the SRS unit according the service manual diagram. Either the airbag went off and wasn't replaced or the dummy resistor went bad.
upload_2016-5-4_1-27-53.png

upload_2016-5-4_1-28-13.png

upload_2016-5-4_1-28-30.png

MotorMo

Respected
Nice Thendi. Funny they call it a "Dummy" Resistor. This info is super good to know. I may be calling a Canadian Honda dealership in an attempt to order one of these dummy resistors. Thanks Thendi.
Looks like you may be missing half of your equipment Enzetsu. If wires from the fuse box to your dash are there, but the goods from the fuse box to the SRS Brain box is not there? Replacement dash maby?

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
If one of Canadian bros could ohm the dummy resistor and tell us the resistance. Then anyone could buy the resistor with the right ohm and just solder it onto the wires or put it into the connector. Also, I think the OP SRS unit is at the end of the harness that has a small section of yellow tape on it. I know with GM yellow tape on a harness indicates SRS.

Enzetsu

You guys are the best! So I've got two options then I guess.
1. Get a dummy resistor (maybe from Honda?)
2. Run to the wreckers and grab airbag and wire from a coupe/sedan

MotorMo

Respected
Kinda sounds that way Enzetsu. BE safe, don't catch an airbag in the face- disconnect the battery and wait 5 minutes before performing any repairs on you SRS system. Good luck! Curious, as we may never know the back story to why and how your car came to the SRS situation that it is in right now lol.

If one of Canadian bros could ohm the dummy resistor and tell us the resistance. Then anyone could buy the resistor with the right ohm and just solder it onto the wires or put it into the connector. Also, I think the OP SRS unit is at the end of the harness that has a small section of yellow tape on it. I know with GM yellow tape on a harness indicates SRS.
Yea that would be great, I haven't yet searched to see if that info has been posted somewhere before. But it would be great to have.
Honda's SRS wiring and connectors are all yellow as well. I think its an "industry standard" that SRS wiring is in yellow as far as I understand.

Enzetsu

My 8th gen got hurt so I parked it and bought this. Sounded like a great deal! $800 and it came with bluetooth, starter, alarm and rust checked bi annually. He originally wanted 950 but never told me about the SRS light till I got there. After i saw it he told me it was a seatbelt problem that these cars had. I thought nothing of it because I needed the car ASAP and i would just replace the buckle. I tried doing a fix i found on YT but not luck. Thats what brought me to the 1st post here.

I love this car, not more then my 8th but almost the same amount. I guess Civic is in my blood :P

Edit: Its also is great condition no dents or real rust except the back wheel well where the bumper attaches... like all hondas...

Looks like someone else had this problem. Im gonna give Honda a call see if they will sell me one :D I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel
http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/srs-light-pass-airbag-but-no-airbag-98-cx-2515654/

Edit: 20 bucks for it. Im shaking with happiness I can get to work on other things now beside the SRS system

Last edited:

Enzetsu

For future reference for who ever needs it.
Part number# 32146-SV4-013
It cost me 22.39 after gov.
It looks like this

The wire is attached to the main SRS harness as you see here

and now my SRS light is off =)