Grinding Noise From Under Hood

weezy_boy90

I hear a grinding noise under hood when idling or coming to a stop . Usually stops when it gets warm . Any info is appreciated . Thanks .

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

We need way more info than that. What engine do you have? Any mods? You say usually stops when it gets warm.. so not always? Sound clip would help. It happens when braking and also just idling... but not accelerating? Auto or manual transmission? If manual, does the noise go away when it's in gear, when you push the clutch pedal in, etc?

I also edited your title from just "help", to be a little more informative for those browsing the forums.

weezy_boy90

Auto D16Y8 . It really only does it when I crank car . Sounds like gears grinding . And when car warms up it doesn't do it as bad . No mods other than an exhaust tip .

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you sure it's a grind? Is it possible that something is rubbing when the motor vibrates? A heat shield over the exhaust manifold comes to mind, it's very common that those rattle.

weezy_boy90

I checked it . It's not loose or anything . It sounds like it might be the lifters .

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A video should help. My guess is you have something loose in the engine thats just rubbing metal on metal due to idle vibration that levels out once the engine is warmed up and idling smoother.

weezy_boy90

Possibly I just need someone to look at it honestly . It's my daily so I'm nervous to mess with it .

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Google "worn timing belt" and find a link that shows you pictures of what a worn belt looks like. There are numerous threads in this forum and online that cover the subject, including how to change any belt. Visually inspect each belt as best as you can. Otherwise, take it to a mechanic if youre really that nervous.

TS2008

I did my first DIY timing belt replacement two weeks ago and it was very gratifying for saving lots $$$$ and for personal achievement. I was first very worry because It was the only car I have and I have to do the TB replacement outdoor. But finally the job was not as hard as I thought and I have lot of good times and I took several pictures and video as souvenirs. If you want change the TB yourself and it was your fist time, the best advices I can give you is to prepare yourself a checklist .

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Damn bro, are you okay? I hope they had insurance and I would take them to court as well. Cars can be replaced and you can build it better from the experience you gained with this one.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
*MODS* Can you guys save these pics? Or start a sticky "Wrecked Civic" thread? This poor guy's car got pulverized.

anv2tk

Respected
hey man I was reading this post and getting ready to add helpful questions that would help pinpoint your noise. that was until I saw the pics you posted. hope you're ok, once the shock and pain is gone and you're ready for another civic (if thats what you're looking for), make sure you find one with as little problems as possible. it seems that you're familiar with mechanical terms and have a vague notion as to what certain engine components might be, but if you thing you're getting yourself into a situation that is way over your head, it might be best to just step away. also, I live in Cherokee county ... not sure if you're still in GA or what county your plate says ... but Im always willing to help someone who knows less. we all have to start somewhere.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Holy f**k.

Hope you're ok. Why the hell was the Acura owner doing 80+ in a 35?