Anyone install 7" flip out radio in lower din?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have a 98 civic and curious if a flip out radio would fit in the lower din near the cup holders or if the screen would hit. Has anyone done it? Reason debating doing it is to maintain keyless entry which is part of the oem radio so easier to leave it in place.

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I still have keyless entry without the OEM radio. Since you want a flip out head unit wouldn't be hard to see the controls on the screen?

98civex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I thought in 96-98 civics keyless entry was integrated in original radio?

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oops. Should have mentioned that I have a 99 civic. But I read something about this issue after I installed my aftermarket radio and the keyless worked just fine.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
There is an adapter that will allow you to put an aftermarket radio in and keep your keyless. The kicker -- you have to keep the OEM radio in there and just tuck it in behind the dash somewhere. I don't recommend that, but it's doable.

Alternatively, you can do the same and install the radio in the cup holder coin pocket, but, I'm not sure a 7" flip out would fit. If you can, remove the coin pocket and test fit the radio without wiring it all in there. Just to see if it fits ok.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
There is an adapter that will allow you to put an aftermarket radio in and keep your keyless. The kicker -- you have to keep the OEM radio in there and just tuck it in behind the dash somewhere. I don't recommend that, but it's doable.

Alternatively, you can do the same and install the radio in the cup holder coin pocket, but, I'm not sure a 7" flip out would fit. If you can, remove the coin pocket and test fit the radio without wiring it all in there. Just to see if it fits ok.

Don't know about 6th gen, but I do know that in my 5th gen the screen hit the shifter every time it opened up unless the car was in 2nd, 4th, or reverse. It was a pain in the ass to get it to fit down there too and the optional stereo console for the 5th gens is supposed to be able to fit a radio. I ended up moving it back up top.

Yes, the screen was hard to see down there because of the angle and mine was adjustable to a degree. Still had a washed out screen because they aren't the best when viewed from an angle.

rich_rolla

It will but it needs ta be a flip down did player not a flip up it also needs to be adjustable and u will have to put your car in 2nd 4th or reverse to let the screen flip out right the best thing to do it put your stock radio in the cubby hole in the bottom and put the dvd player up top so u don't have any problems... If you don't pay attention to n to what your doing when it's on the bottom it won't take long before the motor that flips the screen out burns out or the gears strip from hitting the gear shift and jamming up