Favorite oil

Otto85

Stupid question but what's everyone preferred oil and what to stay away fromI'm Rollin a 96 Civic d16y8 with 150,000 miles. I want to do this right the first time every time. Basically I live in S. Oregon weathers either really damn cold or hot I put in 50 miles a day highway to and from work so what's out there that'll hold up good and protect my motor to the max. I'm thinking royal purple but hoping for insight. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Royal Purple or Mobil 1. I use Brad Penn for high hp builds.

The main thing is don't use cheap oils from gas stations, and be consistent. Don't go too heavy in weight because Honda engines (like most) have specific tolerances between all the moving parts internally and they specify the weight of oil that is most efficient within those tolerances.

I personally avoid Pennzoil like the plague due to witnessing well over 100 times it sludging up in the engines of those that use it religiously.

Otto85

Royal Purple or Mobil 1. I use Brad Penn for high hp builds.

The main thing is don't use cheap oils from gas stations, and be consistent. Don't go too heavy in weight because Honda engines (like most) have specific tolerances between all the moving parts internally and they specify the weight of oil that is most efficient within those tolerances.

I personally avoid Pennzoil like the plague due to witnessing well over 100 times it sludging up in the engines of those that use it religiously.
Ya I've always been sketchy about pennzoil. I use castrol Gtx in my truck but that's a whole different ball game. I've never dealt with the little 4 cylinders and want to use the best oil specifically think of the vtec and all her parts. Thank you for the solid input

HockeyZombies

Respected
For budget and rebates available I used either Quaker State Synthetic or Pennzoil Platinum in my Hyundai Accent and put 200000 miles on it in 26 months. I have oil analysis from blackstone and Shell Pennzoil/Quaker State ran fine and at Menards after rebates I could get it for less than 4.00 qt on Pennzoil synthetic and .99 qt on Quaker State after rebate.

If you arent' changing it every 3 weeks which I was then I like Redline or Liquimoly Toptec 4200.

If your still wondering check for virgin oil analysis done by people on net. I never used Pennzoil synthetic until they came out with natural gas synthetic. They are now used by BMW as a factory fill as well as Ferrari, and the Lotus Hennessey Viper. As long as its GF5 and SN rated all modern oils are fine. The only oils I have seen sludge are ones that are not driven enough to bring them up to temp, short trip vehicles, and those how have pcv valve issues.

This is my Hyundai that was at 194000+ miles that ran only pennzoil synthetic or Quaker state synthetic 5w30 for over 185000 miles. Here is two oil samples with a small amount of liquimoly mos2.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Otto85

This is my Hyundai that was at 194000+ miles that ran only pennzoil synthetic or Quaker state synthetic 5w30 for over 185000 miles. Here is two oil samples with a small amount of liquimoly mos2.
That's legit sadly in my area all synthetic runs about the same price $8.50-$10 a qt royal purple being $10 a qt unless bought in bulk in that instance they all run about $7.80 a qt

HockeyZombies

Respected
I would say that for the dollar...quaker state synthetic can't be beat. Its dexos certified, A1 B1 A5 B5 ACEA and is HTO 6 Honda Acura for direct injection turbo engines and GM4718 Corvette Spec'd. I like quaker state better in the summer and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in the winter.

Right now I am running Castrol 0w20 Magnatec or EDGE. I bought like 80 qts from AutoZone on Clearance for 1.00 a qt. I had magnatec tested and its got esters and boron in it. I think that's were they get their clinging effect on internals. I might have already posted a virgin sample on this site somewhere...if not...ill post it soon.

Castrol Magnatec 0w20
Aluminium 0
Chromium 0
Copper 1
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 1
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 93
Sodium 1
Silicone 6
Calcium 2110
Magnesium 6
Phosphorus 678
Zinc 738
Barium 0
Flashpoint in F 425
Report Date 2 22 16'
Had this done by Blackstone Labs.

Last edited by a moderator:

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I use Penzoil and have for the last 10 years with no problems. I have almost all the top brands in just about every application. It really is personal preference anymore. f**king high end oil, is high oil. There is going to be very little differences in there minor additives for clinging effects for startups, etc.

For racing it all depends on how long you race lasts, temps, etc.

But for daily driving, regular ol' Penzoil 5w30 or even Orielly's brand goes in the CRV. Just depends which ones cheaper at the time. When the Civic is running, I use Penzoil standard 5w30-10w30 depending on the build.

Otto85

Uggg someone people need to stick to bicycles went to adjust the valve lash on my 96 civic d16y8 and someone had them adjust to zero gap but luckily there seems to be no damage

Otto85

I went ahead and went with royal purple it's the same price as everything else in 5 qt container

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
I went ahead and went with royal purple it's the same price as everything else in 5 qt container
Its also a full synthetic, so if you have been running a standard oil for 100,000 miles its best to just stick with standard oil. If you were on synthetic then you should be OK.