Rattle can job on rust spot

rockabillycholo

I have a kinda big rust spot on the roof of my car. I'm going to sand the entire thing and rattle can it primer black any advice? This is my first time

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have a kinda big rust spot on the roof of my car. I'm going to sand the entire thing and rattle can it primer black any advice? This is my first time
I'm sure you could do that, but if you don't get all the rust out it will just come back. Do you have a pic of the spot?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No but it's like a 4 by 4 inch round spot in front of the sunroof..
If it's just surface rust, you should be able to sand it down and primer over it. It won't look the best, but anything is better than rust. If the rust is pretty bad, I'm honestly not too sure, as I'm not a paint expert.

rockabillycholo

If it's just surface rust, you should be able to sand it down and primer over it. It won't look the best, but anything is better than rust. If the rust is pretty bad, I'm honestly not too sure, as I'm not a paint expert.
Yeah it's just surface rust.. going to sand down the entire roof, tape it off by the top of the doors, windshield and back window and get to painting

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Primer isnt going to seal out future rust.. youll need to adress it better than just some spray..

look on youtube and check out how to seal it correctly

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
You need to grind the rust down to the bare metal and then quickly spray with a primer. Sand the primer smooth and spray with a base coat of whatever color you want, repeat the base coat until it matches the rest of the surrounding paint tone. Wet sand it smooth and you're pretty much good to go.

you just gonna rock base coat and not put any clear? seems like a good idea.:roll:
You would be surprised how many paint shops do that. Especially on warranty work. Clearcoat is not a requirement for all paint jobs. :roll:

not to mention OP is talking about doing rattle can job so who gives a s**t. Rattle can jobs tend to look like s**t anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You need to grind the rust down to the bare metal and then quickly spray with a primer. Sand the primer smooth and spray with a base coat of whatever color you want, repeat the base coat until it matches the rest of the surrounding paint tone. Wet sand it smooth and you're pretty much good to go.
you just gonna rock base coat and not put any clear? seems like a good idea.:roll:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a kinda big rust spot on the roof of my car. I'm going to sand the entire thing and rattle can it primer black. any advice? This is my first time
As others said, sand it thoroughly, possibly grinding it down, to ensure absolutely no rust remains. I suggest you look into a sealer instead as a rattle can primer can only do so much.