98 civic dx won't start

niaha497

Just took off from stop sign and shift to 1, then 2 and when I hit 3rd, my engine bogged down and then died..now won't start but cranks

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome:

Is the CEL on? We need more info.

niaha497

Yes..it's getting fuel and spark

My bad, no CEL

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Welcome to CC, can you elaborate on the issue and symptoms? How you've verified fuel and spark?

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Engine needs 3 things to work..

fuel
air
spark

So figure out which one it is, then come back to us

niaha497

When I turn the key I can hear fuel pump priming so I took fuel filter hose off and primed, gas shot out..2nd I put screw driver in spark plug wire and put close to screw on body and it was sparking

And checked all fuses

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackBetty

Can you jump the car from the battery to the solenoid of the starter ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

BlackBetty

It sounds like your distributor cap then considering you think your gas lines are fine. How are your spark plugs and wires looking ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mrpepsalgado

I had an issue like this it was the distributor , it wasn't send out spark to plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So if you have spark (plugs light up when tested?), fuel (you said fuel shoots out of the fuel line when you disconnected it...), and you obviously have air?

Do a compression test. When you turn it over, does it spin fast and sound 'whiney'? Or does it sound like it wants to start but just doesn't?

Pull your intake piping off the throttle body, and cover the throttle body opening with your hand. Have someone try and start it. Does it suck your hand into the throttle body?