1995 EX to 1995 Si Worth swapping.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Just save a few extra bucks and swap to a dohc vtec setup.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
"Worth it" is a very relative term. Research all you can because its all been covered, but if it a manual to manual swap then it might be worth it if you find a cheap enough engine. Do keep in mind that if youre not automotively inclined then youll be very open to problems in the process.

Shane Booth

I'm interested in working on 9my car. It's what I spend most of my time doing. I'm just not the most knowledgable about honda motors. I was just looking for others opinions. I own a 5 speed EX and was looking to find a salvaged Si to pull the motor and swap it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If i were to do it all over again, I would check the existing engine health, If everything is good, a simple turbo street kit will walk any Bseries NA swap and they cost reletively the same.

But, if your set on swapping, look to the 1.8L or 2.0L engines..

Shane Booth

If i were to do it all over again, I would check the existing engine health, If everything is good, a simple turbo street kit will walk any Bseries NA swap and they cost reletively the same.

But, if your set on swapping, look to the 1.8L or 2.0L engines..
Right now it has a d16z6 with 86k miles on it.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Those engines are getting rare.. Id keep it!

The Single Jingle crowd love em.. Decent stroke and head profile.

Shane Booth

Those engines are getting rare.. Id keep it!

The Single Jingle crowd love em.. Decent stroke and head profile.
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll just drop a turbo in it rather then swap it. In the future I'll find another car to swap the motor out.

Shane Booth

its the same motor lol...
I was not aware. I'm new to Honda's and just thought I would get the info from other "experts" instead of doing my own research. I'm glad you cleared this up. I would of felt like an idiot if I would have swapped it. But if I would have.... wouldn't i have an si then?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you're swapping in a 5th gen Si as you want, the motor is the same.
If you're swapping in a 6th gen Si, the motor is 100% different.

5th gen EX and Si cars are different. Si has rear disc brakes and a bunch of other stuff the Ex does not.

Honestly, 86k is nothing on that motor. I would recommend doing a compression test, and if all is well, dip into the turbo world.

Boost is a TON of fun!

Shane Booth

5th gen EX and Si cars are different. Si has rear disc brakes and a bunch of other stuff the Ex does not.

Honestly, 86k is nothing on that motor. I would recommend doing a compression test, and if all is well, dip into the turbo world.

Boost is a TON of fun!
That's the route I'm thinking about taking

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^
That is a good read with plenty of understanding of how it works..

Problem is its not current, we dont use FMU's, resistor boxes, or alot of the other crap listed. Everything has been somewhat simplified since the early days of turbo.

But its still a good read.

Shane Booth

^^
That is a good read with plenty of understanding of how it works..

Problem is its not current, we dont use FMU's, resistor boxes, or alot of the other crap listed. Everything has been somewhat simplified since the early days of turbo.

But its still a good read.
I'll have to sit down and read it. I'm not looking to do it soon. I was just exploring my options. My main focus is to cover up the rust spots that it has. Make it all nice and pretty.

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

Boost is a TON of fun!
Not true! 1995 ex-a cane with rear disc ABS. Because this is a 5th gen forum I will assume he wants 5th gen motors, as he is new. I believe the only option the Si had that the ex didn't was an arm rest, and rear wiper, for obvious reasons

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not true! 1995 ex-a cane with rear disc ABS. I believe the only option the Si had that the ex didn't was an arm rest, and rear wiper, for obvious reasons
ABS was an option for Lx and Ex models starting in '94
Armrests were an option as well and was not standard in the Si (hatchback).