pulls right under hard braking, im stumped

Brugato

the car is a 99 civic cx hatchback, b swap, si front suspension and brakes.

the issue is the car pulls right under hard braking. with more force applied it will pull more to the right. the steering wheel does not have any resistance during this braking issue and stays in position.

because of this I have to counter steer during any type of more than normal braking.

things I have done to diag,

-new wheels and tires, 15x6.5 with 205-50-15 tires
-wheel alignment done at firestone
-cleaned and re lubricated slide pins
-cleaned and re greased brake hardware
-swapped pads from left to right (noticing the bake pads are more worn on the passenger side)
-inspected under chassis for loose hardware or damage, (axle boots are torn)

I have noticed more brake dust on the passenger wheel as well.

before I spend any more money on this, I really need some advice as to what I should inspect next as I try to fix this problem.

If anyone has been through as similar issue and has any input from what they have noticed, please feel free to share.

thank you

68Camaro

Respected
I'm thinking that there is air in the brake lines or something of that nature . I'm thinking that because you said that the brake pads on the passenger side are worn more than the driver side. Therefor the passenger side is getting more pressure to it than the driver side . And it is braking a lot harder than the driver side since the driver side has less pressure .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If not air in the system, it may be a brake line leak, but you should have an obvious leak in that scenario.

thendi

Respected
5+ Year Member
Check to see if the driver side brake lines are crushed/bent and if fluid is leaking from the driver side brake caliper? It sounds like the driver side brake caliper is seizing causing a pull to the right because the passenger brake caliper has more bite to it. You also said the passenger brake pads are more worn then driver side so I think the driver side brake caliper is seizing.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, sounds like a caliper issue, most likely it's sticking / frozen and needs to be replaced. I just replaced a caliper two weeks ago with my RSX

Park on a slight incline and see if you roll back or if you can feel resistance. When I did this, sometimes it would roll back on a hill, sometimes it was so bad I wouldn't even budge. It got worse the more I drove it. It was my rear right caliper, so there was no turning when braking, but that is a symptom with front calipers because the braking force is uneven on one side compared to the other.

After driving, is the wheel hot to the touch compared to the others? If so, it definitely sounds like a caliper issue. Don't drive on it too far or too long, or else you're warp the rotor too. Ask me how I know. :lol:

Reactions: HeX

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If all else fails check the ball joints, guy at work was just telling me his new project truck pulls to one side and it's because of a worn out ball joint causing that side to drop when breaking

Brugato

well, I have vacuum bled my brake lines and even my clutch. I also compressed both caliper pistons with my compressor tool. I have been driving it a few days and nothing has changed. I have also inspected the brake lines, no obvious leaks or kinks anywhere. just a lot of axle grease flung everywhere from my lovley gsp axles

i found a deal on used oem acura integra gsr front calipers,pads,lines (pretty much just taken off the car) on ebay for only 40 dollars shipped. the part number on the calipers are 17cl14vn NISSIN.

i think my problem is either a clogged brake line or bad caliper, im hoping what i purchased will fix it, or at least narrow things down a bit

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Did you try what I mentioned? Hot wheel after driving? Do you roll back in neutral when on a hill?

Brugato

Did you try what I mentioned? Hot wheel after driving? Do you roll back in neutral when on a hill?
yes it will roll back when in neutral, as for the the temp of the wheel, im going to go out for a drive today so ill remember to check it. also usps should be here with my gsr brakes I ordered

Restotech

Respected
Also check inner and outer tie rods, control arm bushings, wheel bearing and ball joints. Gran the tire in the front and push and pull to check for play. Also grab the tire at the top and check the same.

Brugato

both wheels are close to the same temp after a long drive. yesterday I installed the gsr front calipers using my original brake lines still (integra brake lines too long) the difference is noticeable in the bigger piston but it still pulls right, not as bad but still doing it. today ill check ball joints and tie rods, bearings all that good stuff ive already checked

Brugato

I have checked all my ball joints and tie rods. I don't have free play in any of them. the only thing I have not tried yet is replacing the brake line on the passenger side (my thinking is, if its pulling and getting more brake pressure to the right, it must be restriction to the left caliper)

with that being said, I also want to share with you my "after" alignment specs, info and advice welcomed. at this time, nothing suspension wise is adjustable, I have tein s tec springs on new struts.

LEFT FRONT_______________ RIGHT FRONT
camber= -0.9_______________ * camber= -1.5
caster= 1.7_________________ * caster= 0.6
toe= 0.07__________________ toe= 0.07

Total Toe= 0.14
Steer Ahead= 0.00

LEFT REAR_________________ RIGHT REAR
camber= -1.9________________ * camber= -2.5
toe= 0.15___________________ toe= 0.14

could the caster and camber on the right front wheels and camber on the right rear cause this issue?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
I have checked all my ball joints and tie rods. I don't have free play in any of them. the only thing I have not tried yet is replacing the brake line on the passenger side (my thinking is, if its pulling and getting more brake pressure to the right, it must be restriction to the left caliper)

with that being said, I also want to share with you my "after" alignment specs, info and advice welcomed. at this time, nothing suspension wise is adjustable, I have tein s tec springs on new struts.

LEFT FRONT_______________ RIGHT FRONT
camber= -0.9_______________ * camber= -1.5
caster= 1.7_________________ * caster= 0.6
toe= 0.07__________________ toe= 0.07

Total Toe= 0.14
Steer Ahead= 0.00

LEFT REAR_________________ RIGHT REAR
camber= -1.9________________ * camber= -2.5
toe= 0.15___________________ toe= 0.14

could the caster and camber on the right front wheels and camber on the right rear cause this issue?
Yeah... that camber and caster on the front, why is it so different side to side?

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Somethings out of whack time to buy adjustable camber kits and probably caster kits if they make them for civics.

Brugato

im going to take it to my friends work to use the alignment machine and see it we can loosen the front subframe bolts and shift it.

I plan on getting SPC front camber kit, it does have a caster adjustment. its the only one I could find with a caster adjustment
also plan on getting ss brake lines. ill update once either of those get done soon