May get a '04 Civic: thoughts?

alexj

Respected
5+ Year Member
My coworker who I have known for two years and who I respect is buying a new car and selling his 04 Civic coupe, automatic transmission. The car has 60k on it. He feels it should have a new timing belt soon even with the current miles. 1 owner car with papers.

I am wanting to buy the car as I like my coworker and am confident he wouldn't knowingly sell me a lemon, and I have very fond memories of my parents beloved 81 Civic.

He considers 3500 to be the fair price for the car between friends, which sounds good to me.

There anything I should be worried about beyond the usual 'buying used cars is a gamble'?

I would like to have a car that I have fond expectations of still driving 5 years and 50,000 miles into the future, primarily as a light commuter

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
$3500 for a 60k 7th gen is a good deal! Assuming the car runs and drives fine, that's not bad pick up at all. If he's willing, both you and your buddy should take it to a mechanic and have the mechanic go over it for any potential issues. If it all checks out -- I say go for it.

dancam

Registered VIP
Sounds good. Just ask him if he has ever had any trouble with the auto tranny, they aren't the most reliable in these cars. If he hasnt had any issues by now and it doesnt feel weird to you when you test drive it then its probably fine. Change the trans fluid with honda fluid after you buy it. Timing belt is supposed to be 100k miles normally and 60 or 70k miles if the car sees below -30c ambient. So it should be fine for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexj

Respected
5+ Year Member
I talked to my mechanic and he said that he normally suggests 75k, but that since the car is 11 yrs old on its original timing belt he suggests sooner rather than later. He estimated 600 for the timing belt if it is a non VTEC, more if it is a VTEC . . . . my friend who is selling the car isn't sure which engine it has

dancam

Registered VIP
True, it is aged, i would do it if it was mine. I dunno why it would cost more, i dont think the vtec has anything to do with the timing belt and ive changed 3, but whatever. Its fairly easy to do yourself if your slightly mechanically inclined on a 7th gen. Bit harder on the automatic but not the end of the world.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I talked to my mechanic and he said that he normally suggests 75k, but that since the car is 11 yrs old on its original timing belt he suggests sooner rather than later. He estimated 600 for the timing belt if it is a non VTEC, more if it is a VTEC . . . . my friend who is selling the car isn't sure which engine it has
It shouldn't matter one bit if it's Vtec or not though...

dancam

Registered VIP
It shouldn't matter one bit if it's Vtec or not though...
The vtec solenoid is on the opposite side of the motor... Maybe if you just tell him its not vtec he wont notice... Lol, but whatever, you can always ask why, maybe he has a good reason.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
vtec doesn't matter one bit regarding the timing belt as previously stated. 600 for just the timing belt is to high if that doesn't include the water pump,timing belt tensionor and the drive belt. because its a automatic i would recommend you change the transmission fluid every other oil change.

alexj

Respected
5+ Year Member
I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. Taking my checkbook, if it looks good and feels good will get it. Pretty much want something I can reliably commute with and make the 100 mi trip to see my mom every other weekend or so with confidence (she's a senior so I go and visit and help her around the house). And hope it lasts a good few years. The Civic a good choice for this? I know my parents 81 Civic made about 20 years and 200k miles and was still going when a telephone pole got it so I feel pretty good on Civics, but an 04 is obviously not an 81

jbaird1992

I'm going to go check it out tomorrow. Taking my checkbook, if it looks good and feels good will get it. Pretty much want something I can reliably commute with and make the 100 mi trip to see my mom every other weekend or so with confidence (she's a senior so I go and visit and help her around the house). And hope it lasts a good few years. The Civic a good choice for this? I know my parents 81 Civic made about 20 years and 200k miles and was still going when a telephone pole got it so I feel pretty good on Civics, but an 04 is obviously not an 81
I'm not sure if this helps, but I bought an 08 civic used for $9,000 and 50,000 miles. Drove it from Alaska to Ohio, then Ohio to Alabama, back to Ohio, then down to texas within a 2 week period and no issues with it outside of an oil change en route. I've never driven a more reliable vehicle in my life.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Dondw

I just got one and I have been having fun with it.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Dondw

Nice job on the price I financed mine with 193xxx on it for about the same.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

alexj

Respected
5+ Year Member
I got the timing belt and water pump done at the Honda dealer instead of a local mechanic, its the same Honda dealer that the car was bought from originally and which it had all its previous work done at . . . . there quoted price for the timing belt wasn't any more expensive than anyone elses, and they had a coupon

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's a rare occurrence. Make sure they quoted you all Honda parts. I know that sounds odd, but it wouldnt be the first time that a dealership mechanic ordered and used aftermarket parts.

kebo81

I just bought a 1 owner 02 Civic EX coupe with an automatic and 47k miles on it for $5200 + taxes from a dealership. Been a good car so far. My previous car was an 03 RSX Type-S with about 80hp worth of engine mods and bolt-ons. I miss the power and the stick shift, but I'm at the point in life where I needed a cheaper, more fuel efficient, and more reliable car. I had an 02 Civic LX coupe with a 5spd manual many years ago and loved it. Had it for about 102k miles before it got totaled by a Chevy Suburban on a snowy day. :cry:

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$3500 for a 60k 7th gen is a good deal! Assuming the car runs and drives fine.
If all checks out good, this is a fair, if not good deal.
Jump on it and get the maintenance done to it, should treat you well for 5 yrs, just be sure to keep up on the maintenance.