B18/B20 swap: 96 civic ex

MirokuGandor

im looking for some help with my Honda civic do to the engine is going bad .....im looking in to a 2001 b20 bottom a b19 middle and a b18 top but i need to know what all ill need to do this swap so part list and ideas on the engine will vary grate...thank you all for the help

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I tweaked your title for clarity and to be more direct. Please post what you have already researched as this forum does not commonly spoon feed info thats available through research.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
im looking for some help with my Honda civic do to the engine is going bad .....im looking in to a 2001 b20 bottom a b19 middle and a b18 top but i need to know what all ill need to do this swap so part list and ideas on the engine will vary grate...thank you all for the help
A B20 shortblock and B18C (VTEC) head will workout. However that is no B19 anything, as well as no "middle". Do some more research and you will find what you need. This site has a ton of threads on swaps and frankenstein builds.

But just from reading your OP I am going to make the assumption that you may not have the necessary skill to attempt this build. However that doesn't mean much as long as your homework and are willing to take your time to do it right the first time. Start your planning then study what you need to know. From there you can start prepping as long as you have all the information and required and then knowledge to do the manual disassembly and reassembly.

Good luck.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
IDK what a "middle" is? Wondering where you got this info from.

Middle meaning pistons? Theres Integra Type R replica pistons that fit the B20 bore.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, Ive been curious to hear this "B19 middle" explanation.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I dunno what the middle is. Either way, B19 does not exist. I'm removing that from the title.

MirokuGandor

A B20 shortblock and B18C (VTEC) head will workout. However that is no B19 anything, as well as no "middle". Do some more research and you will find what you need. This site has a ton of threads on swaps and frankenstein builds.

But just from reading your OP I am going to make the assumption that you may not have the necessary skill to attempt this build. However that doesn't mean much as long as your homework and are willing to take your time to do it right the first time. Start your planning then study what you need to know. From there you can start prepping as long as you have all the information and required and then knowledge to do the manual disassembly and reassembly.

Good luck.
yes im a new commer to the whole swap and build ides .....as the b19 some Honda teck told me but after i did more surfing and reading it was a lie ......im now just looking at a type R swap ....but im now looking for input on and if their was a AWD Honda not 4wd?

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yes im a new commer to the whole swap and build ides .....as the b19 some Honda teck told me but after i did more surfing and reading it was a lie ......im now just looking at a type R swap ....but im now looking for input on and if their was a AWD Honda not 4wd?
There are several AWD Honda's, however most of them are SUV's. There were a few RealTime AWD Civic 5 doors in the late 80's early 90's. There were not as popular in the states and I beleive were almost an exclusive vehicle to Japan for the longer production time into the 90's.

I personally have a 98 Honda CRV EX with the RealTime AWD and love it. 215,000 miles and counting. Original engine and drivetrain.

Pulled from wiki:

Wagon[edit]

Honda Civic Shuttle Beagle

1989 Honda Civic Shuttle
This was available as FWD and RealTime4WD. The RT4WD versions featured the MPFI D16A6 engine paired with either a 6-speed manual (with a super-low gear left of first) or a 4-speed automatic transmission. The FWD versions featured the DPFI D15B2 engine paired with a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. RT4WD wagons had white steel wheels with matching center caps. This bodystyle remained in production until February 21, 1996, when it was replaced by the Honda Orthia and professional use Honda Partner, sold only in Japan.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man, If the CRV or wag-o-van parts mounted up to a civic.. there would be a whole new class of builds out there.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Man, If the CRV or wag-o-van parts mounted up to a civic.. there would be a whole new class of builds out there.
This build has actually been done a handful of times.

Honda Turing did an article on an AWD Integra several years ago. I actually probobly still have the magazine in a box. Google it and it might come up, its an old article though. Maybe 5-8 years old.

http://honda-tech.com/acura-integra-6/awd-integra-gsr-build-3132031/page2/ (not quote done, last post was in 2015)

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea Ive seen a few builds which took alot of trial and error.. not to mention custom fab work.

What I was saying is if the parts just bolted right up, there would alot more AWD builds out there