'12 Civic Oil issue

AndiiNikki

So last night my boyfriend put 3 quarts of oil in my 2012 Honda civic. When I went to drive I polluted the world with white smoke coming from my exhaust pipe!!! I just bought it 6 months ago and it has 48,xxx miles on it! I don't think a head gasket is blown that fast! Should I just drain out the oil and refill to normal level with new oil? Help me!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This isnt an "off topic" issue so I moved it accordingly. Please read the section descriptions before posting. "Newbie here. Help!" Is too vague of a title so I tweaked it for you. Short related titles encourage helpful responses.

With all that handled, have you checked your oil level? Why did your boyfriend add 3quarts of oil? If it has too much then drain the excess immediately.

AndiiNikki

Sorry about that. I'm just freaking out and ran across this site and registered and posted. I apologize for not reading rules and policy thoroughly.

And because he less than intelligent. I was due for an oil change which I was going to get next Friday. He is used to old bigger body cars. He thinks he knows what he's doing all the time. I trust him with everything else but I always take my car to mechanic for oil changes. He added 3 qts . I have no idea why. All I know is the smoke started coming out of thr exhaust when I went to drive it afterwards.

Oh and yes I pulled the dipstick out. It is clearly way too much oil but its not a chocolate milkshake thank goodness

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I get you. Well, oil does not froth so you wouldnt see any "milkshaking" going on. You need to drain that excess immediately, then never let your boyfriend touch your car again ;-) Its very simple if you have the tools but if you dont then you can cheat it by buying a syphon pump at your local parts store or Walmart. Below is an example of one of them, but their are better versions under $10 too.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-2c8c/k2-_d9c5d886-df36-42ee-8a6d-1f80ec2e0d94.v1.jpg

AndiiNikki

Okay. Good to know. Lol and yes that won't be happening!! He says "I've had hundreds of cars, I know what I'm doing". I say apparently you don't, that's why you have had hundreds of cars =) Now let's just drain this oil and hope that's what the problem truly is. He put the oil in last night. This morning I drive to family dollar, which is literally one block up and noticed the smoke from the pipe.I immediately drove back to my garage. So not a lot of driving done since the abuse of oil happened. No overheating, no sensor lights, no sounds, no other symptoms. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is what caused it. Its the only logical reasoning at this pump. I'm omw to purchase a pump (in friends car lol) and I will come back here in a little to update.

Thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
... He says "I've had hundreds of cars, I know what I'm doing". I say apparently you don't, that's why you have had hundreds of cars =)

Thanks
Im glad to help. Yeah, people that use false logic like that bring me much laughter. But that yo' man, so enjoy the laughs.
:hitlol:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yikes! Considering the car holds like 5 quarts of oil total, you are at least 2 1/2 quarts overfilled. That isn't good. :thumbs up for not driving it any further. I have seen a lot of people on this site that have driven many miles with a problem like this before asking for help/advice.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since it's not an Si, it has the R18. The manual should say 3.9 qts est. If he added three quarts, 8 total would make it smoke like crazy. At my dealership, we had this one guy awhile ago who accidentally put 8 qts in a Honda Fit and it smoked as soon as it left the lift.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lol. They only have 4 quarts in these things now? Wow! That's even worse considering. My F4i only had 3.5 in it and it was a little 600cc motorcycle engine. Used to the cars at work that have 8-9 quarts average.

Osiris19

oilBurner
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah. I mean it's only a 1.8L and Honda's 1.8's have always had 4 qts for the most part. We put about 4.2 in at the dealership and it ends up at the top on the dipstick. Those dipsticks are a pain in the ass to read though.

Then again, their v6's and k24's take the same amount lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CruisingwitStyle

Hi there, I was just curious if you did get your car oil change done by someone professional don't let your boyfriend take those matters into his hands .. you can end up paying a costly price for such actions .. would love to know how things turned out.. By the way i recently got a honda civic 2013 its pretty sweet .. would love to see a photo of yours =)