00 civic ex burning oil

williammw20

My motor takes 5w-30 but that burns toooo quickly, I went to 10w-40 & that lasted a little longer. I'm not sure what could be causing my motor to burn oil, I change my oil every 5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Is it blowing blue smoke? At start up? At high RPMs? You need to elaborate a little bit here.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
It's usually worn out piston rings. Also, a lot of people on this forum would not recommend running thicker oil, since it could put more strain on the engine and make it run hotter (while also taking longer to warm up).

williammw20

No it doesn't blow blue smoke at start up, but when I get on it my cousin said a poof of blue smoke comes out & I'll have to check into the piston rings.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Usually the valve seals will smoke on start up and deceleration. But not to be ruled out.

But if during a hard acceleration, might also be rings..

need to investigate further

williammw20

Sounds like it's time to get a different head because it's a d16y8 non vtec & im gonna do a mini me & put a vtec head on. Whats a good website to buy Honda parts from?

williammw20

I'll just go on ahead and get new internals that way I know they're good

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
No I mean a complete y7. If you're planning on replacing internals I'd start with a matched head and block personally. Then save yourself the mini-me conversion headaches. Just my opinion.

williammw20

Yeah lol I've done the research & there's a lot of parts included to do that conversion. I might just do what you said.