Coolant Check

Engineer

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I have a 2012 Civic 4 door sedan with the standard 1.8 liter engine. I faithfully check all fluid levels once per week but find it almost impossible to check the coolant level. Is there an easy method for checking and topping up if required? Also I am in Canada ( New Brunswick) and want to find quality but cheaper air and cabin filters than what I have found so far. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Doug

ctag

fill it with wires!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi Engineer :welcome:

Is your car made without the radiator cap? I've heard that's a thing on newer vehicles. Regardless, you should be able to track the coolant by the level in the reservoir?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just checked and you have a radiator cap so remove the cap with the car cold and look inside. Fluid should be visible just below the neck. If its not then you're low and either you have a leak or someone used water in the radiator instead of 50/50 mix and some of the water evaporated, or it wasnt filled correctly. If that's the case then I suggest you look up how to properly flush and refill the entire system.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2012-honda-civic-4dr_ex-ka-5at/radiator-denso.html?PNC=1

ykf7b0

I know this is an old thread but my guess is that the original post was referring to the plastic coolant bottle with the fill lines that are nearly impossible to read. All my Honda's have these useless fill lines and the only way I can tell if anything is even in them is to take a flexible rod and stick it in there and look for moisture when I remove it. Of course one can remove the cap and look inside but the coolant bottle needs monitoring as well to maintain proper levels.