Loose shifter in gear: '94 Civic LX

MikeM89

Just got a 1994 civic LX sedan. Noticed that when it's in gear, the stick shift wobbles like it's in neutral. I just replaced the bushings with Energy Suspension. One of my techs told me that the ball or the shifter assembly might be bad, there are 289K on it. Any idea on if that could be the issue or suggestions on to what could be the issue?? Thank you in advance!!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Which bushings did you change? Did you inspect the rest of them that you didnt change? Did you inspect the shifter by removing the shift boot? Is there any clattering from the tranny while in gear?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Which bushings did you change? Did you inspect the rest of them that you didnt change? Did you inspect the shifter by removing the shift boot?
This. I had this problem with my shifter, it turns out the shift bushings which connect the shifter to the linkage were worn. I replaced those and tightened up the shifter to the linkage.. problem solved.

MikeM89

This. I had this problem with my shifter, it turns out the shift bushings which connect the shifter to the linkage were worn. I replaced those and tightened up the shifter to the linkage.. problem solved.
What shift bushings are these? I replaced the ones that are connected to the Trans itself. There are 2 different bushings connected to the trans, one is on the rod that moves gears, the other is stationery, I replaced the bushing on the stationary one. The bushings on the that moves gears didn't seem loose, the one that my actual shifter is connected to seems loose but I have to assume it's suppose to be that way. What shift bushings are you talking about? Picture? Location?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
What shift bushings are these? I replaced the ones that are connected to the Trans itself. There are 2 different bushings connected to the trans, one is on the rod that moves gears, the other is stationery, I replaced the bushing on the stationary one. The bushings on the that moves gears didn't seem loose, the one that my actual shifter is connected to seems loose but I have to assume it's suppose to be that way. What shift bushings are you talking about? Picture? Location?
the end that connects to the transmission is not suppose to be loose they originally have a tapper pin and it suppose to be a nice snug fit. the very end of the sifter that one of your linkage is connected to if its loose you should replace that bushing

MikeM89

the end that connects to the transmission is not suppose to be loose they originally have a tapper pin and it suppose to be a nice snug fit. the very end of the sifter that one of your linkage is connected to if its loose you should replace that bushing
It's not suppose to be loose on the transmission end or the stick end? Because it's snug on the transmission end, loose on the stick end.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
It's not suppose to be loose on the transmission end or the stick end? Because it's snug on the transmission end, loose on the stick end.
all three of them are suppose to be snug with no play any one of these being loose will affect your gear shifting some cases it can cause you to miss shift or grind your gears

MikeM89

all three of them are suppose to be snug with no play any one of these being loose will affect your gear shifting some cases it can cause you to miss shift or grind your gears
Okay, so what do I need to buy for both ends? Sorry, Im new to this car and I want to get it running smoothly

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
#17 & #15 can be replaced with upgraded bushings as well (Hardrace or Energy Suspensions)

Intertwined

It's onski brah
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The rear bushing is usually the main issue for the shifter slop.

If #8 & #11 are bad it will give you some play also. I just replaced my stock CRX shifter with a stock GSR shifter and will end up needing to replace mine as well. :( on the upside, its a noticeably shorter throw.

Side note: also make sure that the bolt holding the shifter to the rod is tight (#22 - #25). This being loose can cause the same symptoms.