Best oil for D series

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
It really doesn't matter as long as you change it often enough and use a quality filter.

The bottom line is it is a Honda engine, you're not going to do anything to it unless you seriously neglect it.
This.

i use whatever is on sale.

10w-30 isnt recommend if your temperatures go below i believe 20 degrees since it will be to thick.

just use 5w-30 and be safe. its recommend for all temps in the book, i like the autozone or where 17 dollars give or take for 5 quarts and filter. i use the extra quarts for the oil i burn
And this.

My car has only seen Mobil 1 since the day it was bought. I had my oil pan off a few thousand ago and the inside of the block was SPOTLESS and wasn't all that stained. Does it pay to use good oil? Yes it does. Do you need it? Not at all, as long as you change it along with the filter regularly.

James315

my oil cap doesnt lol... it just says honda and oil under that lol but yes most any newer vehicle says 5w 30 on the oil cap because that is what is recomended by most every auto maker simply because it has the widest temp range and noone lives in the same climate and yes it is a thinner oil i dont remember who said that too lazy to look lmao but if you live in a more mild climate running a thicker oil wont hurt anything cold envirement and thicker oil bad dont do it.

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My oil cap says fram and its hard as fck to unscrew :cry:
Was like that when I bought the engine though haha. My airbox used to say 5w30 before I got the short ram, now I'll never know what oil to put in there....wait

wazup_74

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oo oo i looked this up somewhere once. the lower number is its cold viscosity while the higher number is its warm one. basically 5w30 is better for colder weather since its first number is lower, while 10w30 can be used in warmer weather. But the 5w30 has a larger distance and therefore uses more modifiers to let it have that wide of a range and less oil basically it wouldn't matter in a well designed and maintained honda, but I guess if it starts to over heat or gets left in too long 5w30 has a bigger chance of degrading and causing carbon deposits so 10w30 is a good choice if your not in snowy weather or something. But like I said with regular oil changes and maintenance 5w30 works just fine.
Yes this is correct.
The first number is cold viscosity and second is operating temp viscosity.
and there are several modifiers in 5w 30 to get it to behave as such which means it can degrade quicker and all that.
But that is with conventional oil.
Now enter synthetic oils. They are basically formulated a certain way reducing the modifiers needed.
So running a 0W 30 wouldn't be out of the question either since the cold start up will be better and the Oper temp will be the same and you don't have to worry about it breaking down the way "dino" oil would.
But then, synthetic oils aren't all FULLY synthetic. I think there are only 2 or 3 oils out there that are FULLY synthetic. I think amsoil and royal purple are fully synthetic.

Here is a link that if you have time, explains what MistahJuice and I were trying to explain.
http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/

In the end this isn't a high performance car and was designed in that manner. Pretty much any oil you use with decent filter will give you many years of happiness with proper interval in changes.

redexcoupe

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I swear by pennzoil Dino oil 5w30

When I first bought my civic it burned a little it of oil, like a quart every 5k miles, and when i switched to pennzoil there was no more consumption. As long as your consistent with your oil changes, you can't go wrong!

Doubletap

5+ Year Member
I'm still currently using 10w30 in my 00 EBP Si and the temps have gone down in the 20's and below at one point. Have not had any issues, just start her up. I let her run for around 5min just to get the parts moving, other than that she runs fine.

ek forever guy

Registered VIP
I'm still currently using 10w30 in my 00 EBP Si and the temps have gone down in the 20's and below at one point. Have not had any issues, just start her up. I let her run for around 5min just to get the parts moving, other than that she runs fine.
I'd really like to get a grasp on why people use 10w30 on cars where the owners manual/oil cap definitely say use 5w30.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'd really like to get a grasp on why people use 10w30 on cars where the owners manual/oil cap definitely say use 5w30.
I have never understood this either. If Honda tells you to use 5W-30, it's for a reason.

And you don't have to let your car warm up. I thought it was better for it at one point. But turn it on, wait 30 seconds, then drive away normal. I noticed my car warms up faster that way. Only time I actually let my car warm up without driving is in the winter with the snow and crap.

James315

idk about other people but im speaking from first hand experience i have use 10w30 before just because the auto parts store i was at was completely out of 5w30 in every brand any other time i always run mobile 1 5w30 well in the civic i have now before i always ran royal purple 5w30 long story short didnt have any problem but it did bother me somewhat just cause it wasnt whats recomended lol..

Narciso

and ok, cuz one of my dumb friends let the dudes at jiffy lube convince him that synthetic was better than standard oil for is 1990 Honda Civic with 200,xxx miles and he ended up spending like $80 on an oil change. Not to mention the didn't tighten the filter all the way. An I was gonna have him switch back to regular or at least hondas synthetic blend and just get his oild changed at honda from now on unless he decides he wants me to teach him how to do it himself
Well to be honest synthetic oil is always better for your car than conventional because it doesn't break down as easily and it's refined for maximum lubrication. Conventional oil breaks down too fast and stops doing its job and it doesn't lube as well. It's okay but It would be better to have synthetic. I'm trying to find if anyone has had any long term issues with royal purple in D series engines. A guy told me that royal purple has some chemical in it that wears down the crank bearings because they're made out of copper which gives you rod knock.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@Narciso, are you aware that you replied to a thread thats over 5 and a half years old and there are newer threads that cover the topic?