Engine shuts off multiple times

Eriko

My 99 civic LX seems to have an issue with starting after being off for 12+ hours. I've noticed that it shuts off 1-5 times before running smoothly after turning it on after it's been 12+ hours. There is no warning lights or anything that indicates what the problem might be. Just from my research I thought maybe the fuel pump could be causing this, but I'm not the best trouble shooter out there. I've cleaned corrosion off my battery, and I'm thinking it might be something electrical, but I'm not entirely sure. Any ideas or suggestions to point me in the right direction will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
:welcome:

Are you certain there is no check engine light? Could the bulb be burned out? Do you see the engine light come on when you first start the car?

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
When it shuts off, does it just die or will it drop to a super low idle? Can you give it gas to keep it running? Auto or manual trans?

Eriko

The idle is actually a little high like 1.5 RPM and then it drops to .5 RPM eventually when it's warmed up. No it just shuts off immediately and I have to turn the key. It's manual transmission.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Do you know when the last time the car was serviced? Plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor?
Sounds like the IAC valve may need to be replaced or at least cleaned. How many miles?

Eriko

It's been about a year since it was last serviced because the AC compressor died. But I should look into getting it serviced. I replaced the IAC and it fixed a lot of issues with the RPM's, but I've been told that it's something else that causes the RPM's to be high until the car is warmed up. It has 240,000 miles, which is a lot. I change the oil and provide maintenance on it often, so it still runs great except the starting issue. Thanks for taking the time to look into this and helping.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Could be the fuel relay..

Ive heard this is common with older hondas.. intermittent shut off. If you have a buddy with the same generation, swap relays and see if helps..

If not, take the relay to be checked at the parts store.

Fuel pumps do go bad.. nothing lasts forever.. But check the cheapest thing before the other things that cost $$

MotorMo

Respected
1,500-1,200 rpm is normal at cold start up- if it gets up to 2,000 rpm, then somethings out of spec.
A common issue on "your" car is also the ignition switch. Look at the dash lights when it "stalls"- If you don't have dash lights, tickle the key and see if they come back on. I've replaced many of those in my time. There was even a TSB about it from Honda many years ago.
Also take note of a "humming" sound coming from your fuel pump for the first three seconds when you turn your key to the "on" position, before you start it. If theres no sound, then you have narrowed it down to that area.

faster_thn_hell

Consummate Honda Dork
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like a main relay symptom to me. I've experienced this in a couple Civics of various years. Should be a real easy fix. Main relay is behind the glove box and on the right. Often these can be repaired easily by re-soldering them. You can buy a new one for around 30-35 bucks. I'd attempt a repair, or test a known good one on your car to make sure that's the problem. Faulty ignition switch can give similar symptoms (I've also experienced this). It's gotta be one or the other.